Questions about Node 2i

I'm trying to work out a fairly low cost streaming solution.

Current set up is Apple TV to Schiit Modi 2 Uber and the SQ is just okay. I don't think the weak link is the Modi.

I'm trying to do this on a limited budget so looking at a BlueSound Node 2i. But I have some questions.

1) How much SQ advantage is there with the 2i over the 2. The Node 2 can be purchased used for less than $400. What! HiFi gave the 2i glorious reviews over and above the 2 but couldn't really explain why there was a difference as the DAC was not upgraded.

2) The features list says that the 2i and the 2 will play music from my own external HD but only mentions it once and does not elaborate. If I have ripped CDs in an iTunes library on a HD will it play it through the Node 2?

3) The idea of a multiroom player appeals to my wife....which is always a good thing when spending money on hi-fi stuff. But, they're basic speakers are $300 each. I'm assuming you'd need at least 2 for a room to sound decent at all. The SQ does not have to be great for this application but spending an additional $600 to get okay SQ in another room is more than I'd like to spend. Can anyone speak to the actual quality of such a set up?

4) Do powered speakers from other makers than BlueSound work with the Node 2i or 2?

5) If I have a Node 2i or 2, is there any further role for the Modi 2 Uber or any other low price DAC?

Thanks for any assistance or experience you may have to share.

George
n80
I always doubt my ears that's why I ask my wife who has better hearing and sees everything I put in the system as another little black box. If you like the sound that's all that matters. I do some things , like adding  new DAC , I "think" improves the sound and other things for convenience like the node2i   and putting my CD's on a NAS. 

I am surprised that you are able to run the Node 2i on the 5G.
Tech support states only 2.4Ghz will be
detected.

djones51
614 posts12-10-2018 1:27amIf you get frequent drop outs using wireless I would use a wire. I run the node 2i on the 5ghz band and everything else in my house on the 2.4 ghz. I also set the channels in my router so I am the only one within my area using them and will periodically check it. So far it works fine.

Bobpaule The only thing I  can  tell  you  is when I  look in settings on my 2i it shows I am connected to my 5ghz network.