Question for tube aficionados

I have a vintage Conrad-Johnson PV 11 preamp.
 I’ve always re-tubed it  with the cheapest tubes from Tube Depot (e.g. Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 and 12AX7, Sovtek 5751 and the like.). I’ve been very happy with the sound.
 My question is:
 Would it be worthwhile to spend more money on more exotic tubes?
  Would there be any appreciable difference in the sound?
 I’m powering the system with NuForce Reference 9 V3 monoblocks.
128x128rvpiano
doing the CJ tube replacement for $310 would be a quick and easy way to get things squared away. Then, down the road, you could roll some tubes. But I'm sure part of that $310 is a fee for their special knowledge of the right tube combination. Maybe not the best value per se, but definitely a quick and easy way to clean the slate and start from a proper baseline. 

But i would have to agree that the Gold Lyons would be more of a lateral move. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but i just try to make a little bigger move when I do an upgrade.

I'm not talking about exceeding the $130 budget either. But the sound quality gains will be significant, especially since preamps tend to have more influence on the final sound characteristics than amps (and yes, I know, I know, some of you will argue with that ... yeesh).

In fact, you may just ask yourself, "why did it take me so long to figure this out ... :)" 
As a general note, please remember also that replacing a tube alone is not good enough. Compensating tube production variations, tube aging (and, especially, when using equivalent models) always demands a check and adjustment of bias voltage. I experienced surprisingly significant sound differences from the bias voltage differences of 5%. To make it more challenging, certain systems will benefit from setting a bias voltage that is different than the one recommended by the amp manufacturer. Additionally, my recent observation indicates that the replacing tubes and adjusting bias can also introduce embellishment and extension of trebles that can be easily taken for increased resolution while it only adds graininess.
Hi Folks...

Need to correct almarg and raindance about those grid resistors.  I was in touch with Jeff Fischel, now heading up c-j, about those PV-11 grid resistors.  Apparently the sources the previous posters used were wrong. Here is his reply to me:

"Bob,

Actually on all 3 of these models we do employ grid resistors on all gain stages , typically a 47R5 resistor. All CJ preamps use grid resistors either 47R5 , 100R or 332R.

Thanks,

Jeff Fischel

conrad-johnson design inc.

703-698-8581

http://www.conradjohnson.com/"

Guess doing it correctly is one reason their equipment consistently sounds so good.

Actually on all 3 of these models we do employ grid resistors on all gain stages , typically a 47R5 resistor. All CJ preamps use grid resistors either 47R5 , 100R or 332R.
Thanks, Coppy. Good to know.

That information doesn’t appear to be consistent with the schematics I looked at for the PV-10 and PV-12 at HiFiEngine.com, and 47R5 (i.e. 47.5 ohms) seems much lower than usual for the value of a grid stopper resistor that would be effective in these kinds of designs. But in addition to the high confidence I would have in an answer provided by Mr. Fischel the bottom line would seem to be, as you said, that "their equipment consistently sounds so good."

Thanks again. Regards,
-- Al