Question for DVD Burning Gurus?

I am getting ready to buy a DVD burner for my computer so I am a newbie at this. I am going to back up my movie collection. My question is this, do you lose much video and/or audio quality when you burn an original dual layer movie onto a compressed single layer disc in order to avoid having to use 2 discs for 1 movie? Also what software would you recommend for burning dvds? Thank you for your help.

Rick
golfnut

Showing 3 responses by vader007

DVD recorders cant copy a dvd!
That said, the best software out there is DVD X COPY, and
DVD X COPY Express. The first one will copy bit for bit and in 5.1 DD or DTS, but most movies require 2 discs.
DVD express will remove all special features and secondary
soundtracks but does compromise video quality a little with thier compression scheme. I own and use both.
Good Luck!
Lokie, Avideo is referring to a dvd recorder for home use, not a dvd burner for computers. Just like a vcr the dvd recorder has a built in tuner.
Sorry Avideo, I dissagree. You are going through four conversion stages using an s-video output which will degrade to recording a lot. I was referring to a direct bit for bit digital transfer. "Just fine" maybe for you, but dont mislead others without giving them the whole truth. Also interlaced performance is nowhere near progressive so dont feed me that 450 resolution crap either.