Qubuz feedback and membership Plan Suggestions

I received an email with a welcome to the US launch of Qobuz yesterday. Has anyone here had experience with the service? How does it compare to Tidal, Pandora, etc? Any suggestions as to which subscription plan is better than another? Any insight is appreciated  
gwbeers

Showing 1 response by oldschool1948

I signed up for the Beta Qobuz Studio Plan and I have Tidal.  I'm 71, my music preferences generally span songs between 1950 and 1990.   I listen primarily to old school R&B/soul and contemporary jazz.  I also like some blues and soft rock.  I do not listen to today's "R&B" or hip hop noise, classical music, or hard rock.

Using Roon, I've been comparing "versions" of songs and albums.  I find that Qobuz has many of the same tracks and albums as Tidal, but for the "soul" music I listen to, Tidal has more.  When comparing Tidal MQA against Qobuz HiRes tracks of the same bit depth/sampling rate, Qobuz sounds a bit more "musical."

I like the Tidal playlists much more than what Qobuz currently provides.  Tidal's provided R&B/soul curated playlists (6 in total) fit my music preferences.  Qobuz has one R&B playlist with 39 tracks; it has one song by Aretha Franklin and no other artists that I recognize (or want to hear).  I realize Qobuz is still beta, so that may change. 

I've found that many (most?) Tidal MQA albums appear as Qobuz HiRes albums.  Some Qobuz HiRes offerings are 92kHz others are 192kHz, but they both use the same icon.  It would be nice if Qobuz used a different icon for 192kHz music and added filters for their different offerings.

For my taste in music, I prefer Tidal's offerings.  Tidal also offers a military discount, which makes it's price more attractive.  So for now, I'm sticking with it.