Quatre dg-250 amplifier

Hi All,

I recently acquired the above amplifier and have found very limited info on it on the web. I have not hooked it up as of yet. I wanted to have it looked over first. Any suggestions on where to take it? I'm in S. Riverside County (Temecula) and work in San Diego County.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on them. I understand the first models were unstable and were suceptible to "blowing up" (not too sure about that) If anyone can enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
pukaboy

Showing 2 responses by dotsystem

The early gain cells were best with 8 ohm speakers in terms of stability. If one blows up you may have hard time sourcing transistors. Check this link:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-4255.html
I have owned 4 gain cells over the years.

The GC 300 was the best sounding model and the best capable of driving speakers with difficult impedance properties. The next best was the DG250C. Quatre/QMI licensed the 250/300 designs and produced variations and made changes the designer did not sanction. In particular, the 500 I heard sounded terrible and these were prone to blow up.

Mechanical hum may be caused by the transformer mounts - grommets broke or bolts loosened up.

Some 300s were retrofitted into 250 chassis. These are more desirable than the flimsy chassis QMI used on the factory manufactured models.