Quad 988 in 15' x 12' room

how well will a pair of Quad 988s function in my 15' wide by 12' deep listening room? the speakers would be about 3' from the rear wall, about 3' from the side walls, and about 6' from my listening position. these speakers would be about 7' apart, and set up along the 15' wall. they would be powered by the McIntosh 402 power amp, McIntosh C2200 pre amp and a Musical Fidelity Tri Vista SACD player would be the source. FYI - i don't normally listen at very loud levels.

any assistance in this matter would be very much appreciated!
skuras

Showing 1 response by newbee

Make sure that the wall behind the speakers does not directly reflect the sound. Your speakers will sound best when the back wave is radiating off a dispersive surface. Three feet is probably a minimum for good soundstaging. You might also want to either bring your speakers a bit closer together or move you listening position back a foot or so. Side wall reflections are not a big deal on Quads. Be patient, set up with quads can take a lot of time and expirimentation before you get it down. The back wave is a big issue! Get that right and they are wonderful. They also love tube amps. FWIW my Quad 63's were set up in a 13x19x9 room, 54" from the back wall and 12 inches from each side wall with the listening position 11 feet from the centerline. I used light drapes, plants and bookcases on my back wall - Wife wouldn't allow audiophile wall stuff.