PSB Imagine T3's?

Anyone out there either own or are familiar with PSB Imagine T3 speakers? Are they higher end in sound quality, or mid-fi? How do they compare with other speakers in the $7500 vicinity?
128x128easola01

Showing 11 responses by chazzzy007

I’ve owned the T3’s for about 18 months now.
They are neutral, and properly set up have a well voiced balanced mid-range and nice highs. The bass is tight and punchy and like another poster here I have the bottom 2 ports plugged. The bass is in no way bloated. The T3’s throw an extremely large sound-stage left to right and top to bottom. I use them in a 5.1 system with 4 T3’s and matching C3. The T3’s are very nicely balanced and do well on a wide variety of music.

I’ve been using them with a NAD M27 but just had a BAT VK-6200 delivered today and I am anxious to see how the do with the BAT.

Good luck with your purchase! =)
@astewart8944
New BAT is just starting to settle in. The BAT has a warmer and much more textured presentation than the NAD. Soundstage is amazing with the BAT. At least just as wide and high but with more depth front to back. Bass is deeper and more controlled. Lots more texture and subtlety in this region with the BAT. Mid range is noticeably richer with the BAT, though still maintaining great balance with the bottom end. As another poster noted the T3’s do scale up quite a bit with better equipment. The BAT is still settling but I am loving what I’m hearing so far. I’ve had the BAT before in another system which is the reason I went and found another. It does so many things well. 👍

@easola01 The T’3s presentation can best be described as balanced. Top to bottom nothing except maybe Bass stands out, but as a whole they do everything quite well together. Some other speakers above this price range 10K-20K are going to do one thing or another "better" but those speakers imo will not be as "balanced" overall. Properly set up, the T3’s provide a very pleasant non fatiguing musical experience. I love the T3'3s with women's voices. I'm listening to Amy Lee right now. ☺

@astewart8944 The BAT doesn’t lack in speed at all when compared to the NAD M27. When compared head to head it has much, much better control of the bass with increased dynamics and detail throughout the tonal spectrum but especially in the deepest bass. It’s power to resolve subtle details in movies and music is quite impressive. Much much better than the NAD. It’s a very powerful amp (doubles down in power from 8 to 4 to 2 ohm loads) with amazing finesse. The VK-6200 is solid state btw.
@easola01. If I were to look at upgrading to something in this general price range, I’d look at a pre-owned Focal Sopra 2 and the new Kanta as well as a set of pre-owned Legacy Aeris. All 3 are a bit more refined in some areas than the T3. None do Bass better then the T3. When I am not listening to music there are certain things I would like the T3 to do better, but when I listen to them they sound so right. Maybe I just wish they were a Tad airier in the highs... 👍
@studiotim The T3’s ports have to be set up right for the mid range to really sing. In my listening room I’ve found them to sound their best with the 2 bottom ports plugged. You lose some low end extension, but the bass tightens and the mid range and highs open up. The soundstage also becomes much more focused and detailed.

Without the bottom 2 ports plugged, I’ve found the Bass fat in a way that steps on the mid range and blurs the soundstage.
@Studiotim Make sure you audition with good Class A or A/B amplification. Something that also delivers very good current to get the very best bass.There's a richer midrange and bass in the T3 that you wont' see with any class D amplification. 
@easola01  @studiotim  I look forward to hearing both of your impressions of the T3's in your respective systems!  👍
@studiotim I was driving mine with class D NAD until 2 weeks ago. I bought a BAT VK-6200 and now the bass contol and detail I have are now on another level. Mid range is now much richer. The T3's need amplification that can deliver a good bit of current to sound their best. The level up as their amplification and pre-amp does.
@easola1 I love what the BAT did for my T3's. So much more dynamic than my NAD 27 and the Bass is much more controlled and detailed. With the NAD I was thinking to add another REL S5 to load my listening room,  but with the BAT there's just no need. 

Sorry about the delayed response but I missed your post. ☺
@easola1 Completely agree with you on the A/B class D comparison. With my NAD there was a lack of energy and "life" in the mid range. The T3’s really deserve an excellent front end. Mine have really come to life with the BAT and I cannot wait to get a nice 2 channel pre-amp sometime this year.