Project Tube Box DS2 vs. Hagerman Audio Trumpet MC

I am currently using a Project Tube Box DS2 phono preamp. If you see my system, I love the tube sound and prefer over hyper detail and neutrality. However, I am not talking about extreme euphonics, loose bass and no sparkle at all. Modern tube sound is not like that. The vinyl setup is pretty decent, but recently I contacted Hagerman Audio Labs and Jim told me that the Trumpet MC is all tube amplification where the Project is tube buffer and the difference should be night and day. The Trumpet MC should blow the Project out of the water.

Given that the price difference is only $200 more for the Trumpet MC and Project is well made and is infinitely adjustable, do you agree with his assessment? Does anyone have experience with the Hagerman products or this phono in particular? He indicated his 30 day return policy is no strings attached, just pay return shipping which is no big deal as this weighs 3 lbs. However, I want to see if anyone has had the experience dealing with this company before.

Thanks in advance!
128x128dandaroy

@orange5o

The Gold Lion gold pins I have are new. Really not a huge investment. IIRC about $35~40 per. Yea, you can replace two AX7’s at a time if you wish, but personally, I tried 2 of the stock Mullards and 2 of the Gold Lions, and yea, went with 4. The mix was fine, just didn’t give me the sound I wanted. Don’t get me wrong, the Mullards are pretty good, Kevin D likes them too, but as you, desired more airy sparkle and definition. The Gold Lions are also pretty good bass producers too.

The SBooster is the selectable 15-16.5v model. The Trumpet uses 15v.

@orange5o 

Holy smokes. Well, Russian made, so there ya go. That’s ridiculous.

For that $, I would be on the hunt for some old stock tubes.

Talk to Andy at Vintage Tube Services.

Looking to upgrade my phono stage I have a tavish vintage phono stage.Would the hagerman audio trumpet be worth the upgrade from mine tavish phono.