Problems with my Berning ZH270

Don´t know what happen with my Berning ZH270 amp. I have Merlin VSM-M speakers and Electrocompaniet CD player. The amp is very fast and clear, but also bright, bright, bright.
I have tried Cardas Golden Reference interconnects, Nordost SPM speaker cables (and much more wires), without any improve. I have just add a LA-100 Joule preamp and things are now better, but not enough.
Tube rolling?. Another amp?. Wich amp (I would like to keep my new Joule preamp). Thank you.
George
georgegonzalezzd5e2

Showing 2 responses by phild

Hi George,

Before spending a dime, I would definitely talk to Bobby and figure out how to best place the speakers in your room. I recently switched cables and it didn't sound quite right. I angled the speakers out a bit more (maybe an inch...certainly not more than a couple of degrees) and everything fell into place. Try setting them up according to Bobby's recommendations, or the Golden Ratio set up on Cardas' website. Experiment from there. You'll know when you get it right. And be patient...a few inches towards or away from the wall can make a rather large difference in bass and depth, and the angle does the same for cohesive treble, soundstage width, etc.

If that doesn't help, make sure the room isn't too bright (lots of wood floors, glass, bare walls, etc.). After that, I'd definitely recommend a cable other than the Nordost. They do have excessive treble IMO, which is perfect for many speakers, but not for one with the Esotar tweeter. I've tried Cardas, Luminous Renaissance, Audience AU24, and TG Audio (the last being silver), and all are great in different ways. The Luminous Renaissance is the best deal price-wise...I'd say I prefer the Audience AU24 in most ways, but they are 3X as much. The TG Audio are excellent, but silver (so maybe not the best for brightness problems). TUbes can also make a huge difference, so those are also well worth messing with if all else fails (though a little trickier buy and sell).

Good luck!
Hi George,

Once again...take your room dimensions, plug them into one of the speaker set-up ratios (Bobby's or Cardas') and see where the speakers AND you should be placed...ideally...in your particular room. The above post is right in asking where you are positioned relative to the speakers. Any of those variables can change the sound drastically...making any speaker/amp combo too boomy, thin, bright...whatever. Mess with that and try the free fixes first. If you have no placement flxibility for the speakers (or yourself) then you may have chosen the wrong combo for your particular room (although the Merlins are usually ideal for smaller rooms with nearfield listening).