Problems with Movie Dialog-Just the normal?

Hi all,

This is my biggest pet peeve with my system and would appreciate any thoughts-

When I setup my system via spl meter, all channels matching levels, the vast majority of movies have very low dialog levels, or specific instances where I can't hear dialog clearly, in the center channel. Drives me absolutely nuts. I keep turning things up until the loud parts hit the neighbors at the end of the block come a knocking. The distance to listening position is equal across the front.

I have tried to setup a balanced system, see system link. Equal power to all channels, the center channel is the same exact driver set as front mains housed in a horizontal array.

I'm torn between "how the director wants things portrayed-THX standards" and feeling "less-than" by flat out turning up the level in the center channel. Sometimes I've tried the late night modes and almost enjoyed these more.

I don't think the center speaker is "broken" in any way, all drivers make noise...:)

Any ideas?

Thanks
Marty
marty9876

Showing 4 responses by marty9876

Thanks for the ideas. DRC in not on, same cables between front mains and center.

The Sim Audio has surprising few adjustments/features with the menus. Honestly I don't think I have something screwed up, will double check. Their truly is not many settings to mess up.

I will try these ideas and see if I get an improvement. Think I'll bi-amp the stupid center mess and see what happens...?

Marty
Distortion-I way too American. Bigger this, more that...

Seriously thou, when I simply turn up the level the mid-bass starts taking too much precedent. It's like the woofers in the center speaker start standing out, not just an increase in dialog levels.

How this can be affecting dialog only, I have no idea. Basically dialog is only a grouping of sounds right?

Also the system really only seems to come alive with excitement when the volume is way up there. Like 85% and higher. I dunno.

Thanks

Marty
I have double/triple checked the phase settings. Also my processor has a automatic setup(don't really use, just for kicks to see what it thinks things should be) this also included a phase check. Previously I had some speakers with the phase reversed between the tweeters/woofers. Drove me nuts.

The speakers(all) are set to LARGE, with no crossover settings. The LFE is set to roll at 80hz. I guess I should try rolling the speakers at 80HZ also, this just seems to be doing two things at once. I've tried this, just not for some time.

Or leave the rest set to large(I'm weird, the rears are basically large by most peoples definition) and cross the center alone at 80-120Hz. The center is exactly the same as the front mains, just a different driver layout. I'm sure the difference in cabinets makes some difference.

Thanks for the ideas,
Marty