Problem(s) with new Klaudio LP200S ultrasonic cleaner - Any other owners?

I'm always looking to improve my ultrasonic record cleaning results, so I've just bought a new Klaudio machine. It's their "S" version LP200S that uses an external reservoir (or separate supply and drain containers) that should allow each and every record in a batch to be cleaned with perfectly clean water..

Hopefully another "S" owner can help, as I've got a puzzling problem with mine!

I've been in touch with Tim at Klaudio of course, and am currently waiting for a reply from him once he's talked to the engineers there, but he's been silent since Wednesday, and it's now Saturday and it's unlikely he'll reply at the weekend..

So, for any LP200S owners, can you tell me how you have your machine set up, specifically regarding the external reservoir you are using, if you are using separate supply and drain containers, or the "tap water" kit?

This new "S" version has no internal reservoir. The "supply" and "drain" hoses mean the supply pump can draw water from a clean container, and the drain hose can dump used water into another (dirty) container. The machine is designed to refill each time, so the distilled water won't be very dirty from cleaning just one record, but I have RO (reverse osmosis) equipment to filter the used water back to 0ppm purity, so it can be returned to the clean container and not wasted.

The LP200S with two containers should have an advantage over the regular Klaudio machines with internal reservoir, since those reuse the water and don't have a filter. I am using two 5-gallon food grade buckets for my supply and drain containers.

The problem with my LP200S is that water starts coming out of the drain hose as soon as the machine starts filling up, and it continues pumping and draining throughout the wash cycle. So much water goes through that it takes about 4 gallons per record during a 5 minute wash, from the supply bucket to the drain bucket.

Nothing should be coming out of the drain until the wash cycle ends, it should be using less than half a gallon per record, and only emptying the machine when the drain indicator lights up, right before it starts drying!

It seems like Tim at Klaudio thinks this is "operator error" on my part.. His last email stated that no other "S" owners have had problems, except for some that didn't have their drain hose positioned properly, which is easily solved.

I'm pretty sure my machine's drain control is programmed incorrectly, and I'm wondering if other "S" machines have the same problem?

Anyone else have an "S" with the same setup, supply and drain containers? Even if you're just using a single container (or the Klaudio "tap supply kit") could you please take a minute to check and see if water is coming out of the (blue) drain hose while your machine is filling up and while it is washing?

Thanks!

128x128recordgenieusa

Showing 1 response by recordgenieusa

Hi Totem,

To clarify, Tim didn't actually say "operator error" but his comment was "There definitely seems to be something abnormal going on" with the LP200S machines that I've had so far.. No apology for TWO defective units either..

I've owned 4 of the regular version KD-CLN-LP200 machines, two were early versions that I got in 2013, and then switched to two Version4 machines (with cooling) that I've had since May 2014. I have plenty of experience with Klaudio in the last 4 years..

I have the above mentioned drain problem on this LP200S machine, and my first LP200S machine had to go back since it arrived DOA. That one couldn't be used because it didn't rotate the records, and oddly enough, although it would go through the wash and dry cycle with a stationary record, nothing came out of the drain hose at all, and used water just flowed back down the pump line into the supply bucket..

I've owned 3 of the Audio Desk machines over the years, so I'm no stranger to ultrasonic record cleaning machine problems, but I'm a bit surprised by these problems with Klaudio units.. 

Anyway, fingers crossed that it will all get resolved soon, and I'm hoping that someone with an "S" machine will chime in about what their machine does during the "Priming" and "Washing" steps.. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be any water coming out of the drain hose until the "Drain" indicator lights up, after "Washing" is complete, and right before "Drying" starts..

Thanks,
Dave