Primare I30 vs Krell KAV 400xi

I'm trying to decide between these two amps to power my Spendor S8e and Rega Apollo cd.
Has anyone experienced these amps good or bad?
Thanks in advance for your input.

AB
andrewboettcher

Showing 1 response by wireless200

I had a Krell 400Xi. It was very dynamic. It gives you everything that's there - from top to bottom. I had a little problem with the highs mainly because of bad recordings (compression, boost). The Krell is completely unforgiving in that regard. On a good recording, say, classical or acoustic it's unmatched and phenomenal IMO. I heard stuff I'd never heard in recordings I'd been listening to for 10~20 years. I finally couldn't deal with having only 20% of my recordings be listenable though. But it's quite the performer. I've always read it sounds great with the Krell CDP too. On build quality the Krell is unbelieveable. The local dealer dropped one on it's front left corner from waist high on to solid concrete. It chipped the concrete, barely marked the corner, and played perfectly when he hooked it back up. I saw that with my own eyes.

Eventually after going through another amp or two I went with McIntosh. More laid back and makes most of my recordings sound good. It's my cup of tea but not everyones.