Prima Luna Dialogue 2 or Cayin A100?

I just returned from CES 2010. I own a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors and I am looking for a very MUSICAL tube integrated amp. For some time now I have decided on the Cayin A100 (100 watts w/8 KT88) as the SF speakers require power. The Cayin is also reviewed as being very musical with a lush sound stage and is well built. Then I visited Prima Luna and was quite taken by the Dialogue 2. Half the power of the Cayin (PL uses 4 KT88), very well built, auto bias (Cayin isn't) and similar reviews. I listen to jazz of all types, classic rock, blues, and vocals (Holly Cole, Alison Krauss, Krall, etc.). My room is 14 x 26 and I use Acoustic Zen cables. What are the pros/cons of the two amps as you see it? Thank you for your time and feedback.
128x128dramapsycho

Showing 2 responses by dramapsycho

Thanks for the input. I just installed a Primaluna Dialogue 2 into my system. After listening to it for a few days it strikes me as bright -- so much so that I switch from ultralinear to triode to compress the top end. I am using the factory KT88 tubes. Perhaps switching to "better" KT88 will cut the harsh top end. Any suggestions?
WOW! Thanks for all of the suggestions. Here are the changes that I made and -- for now -- my problem of "brightness to an extreme" has been solved.

I shared my problem with Brent at audiotubes.com and he suggested I insert NOS Telefunken 12AU7 smooth plate tubes and NOS Sylvania 6L6 power tubes. This move was costly but I figured that I wanted to make this tube change once with noticeable results.

The outcome is fantastic. The harsh high end is gone, the bottom is better supported, and the mids . . . oh, the mids are awesome. Add to this, the 3D sound stage and instrument placement is to die for. My Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors vanish in the room and I am left with a very VISUAL musical experience. In particular, disc 1 of the new stereo re master Beatles White Album and all of Abbey Road is a completely new experience. As is Rene Olstead, Bluesquest, Alison Kraus, and many other SACDs in my collection.

So, thank you to everyone who chimed in to help me. You are the reason that I frequent Audiogone.com.