Preamps with Berning ZH570

I've heard about great synergy with First Sound, Supratek and Joule Electra. Anyone audition the Lamm LL2 with this amp? what other tubed preamps did you try and what were your impressions? thanks - Art
artg

Showing 1 response by sbank

Art,
I've been happily using the CAT SL1-MkIII with my Berning. It replaced a Joule Electra LA150. They are both very good, but I have a preference for the CAT. The dynamic jump is goosebump inducing. The CAT is dead quiet, and the phono section is better than most of the separate phono stages I've heard. The LA150 has a liquid, lush quality to it, that is very engaging. They both complement the Berning nicely.
While I haven't heard the First Sound, it comes highly recommended. One ergonomic issue for me is the separate L+R volume controls; I must admit this is a pet peeve of mine. The Supratek Chenin($2900) is a giant-killer as far I can tell so far, but I've only heard once this month, and that was in a friends' system. From a price perspective the Cortese(~$5k) is closer to the others mentioned here.
Although I was disappointed in what I heard from the LL2, it was in a very different system, and wouldn't judge much from that. I'm also curious to hear from folks who've successfully used the LL2 with non-Lamm amps. Cheers,
Spencer