Preamp suggestion for Coincedent M300B Frankenstein mk2

I have a Constellation Inspiration Preamp + Stereo Amp for my Mino-D speakers.

I’ve decided to investigate the “tube” sound so I started with the Coincedent 300B Frankenstein MkII amplifier which I planned to attach to my Constellation (SS) preamp.  The 300B will drive my 100db Volti Rival.   

Am I going in the right direction or should I use a different preamp?  If different, any suggestions?  I’m also a confused if choosing a tube preamp with a tube amp may be too much of tube sound?

kennyc

Coincident Statement linestage is perfect match for the Frankenstein's, certainly not tubey sounding, far more about transparency, resolution. But then it delivers on the things tubes, especially DHT does best, harmonic development, immediacy, micro dynamics, all the things that make it seem as if performers in room.

I have modified MkII version, I can only think of one pre I'd consider as contender or replacement, the Vinnie Rossi L2 Signature DHT.

The Coincident line seems so under appreciated IMO what with it's direct sales model. This pre would sell for far more with different business model, the power supply of Statement is simply massive for a pre and the build quality is beyond reproach.

I am a Frankenstein owner. I had the Coincident Statement Line Stage and currently use Horneshoppe The Truth T3. Both are superb with the Frankensteins. The Truth T3 is a no gain unit and works best with source components with output voltage of 1.8 volts or greater, which is the vast majority of components. There is a T4 version that provides gain if needed. The Truth has remote control and balance control, the CSLS does not.

Arthur Salvatore did comprehensive reviews of the CSLS and The Truth which may be of assistance:

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Linestages.html#ClA

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Statement.html

@kennyc

I agree 100% with @sns and his description of the Coincident Statement line stage (CSL). As he noted, very transparent sound presentation but is in no way analytical or clinical, just open and pure sounding. The 101D tubes preserve the tonal and timbre fullness/vividness of instruments and voice, admirably natural sounding.. I have had the CSL and Frankenstein pairing for 13 years. I appreciate them even more as time has passed. If is now in MK II generation and probably better than my original MK I version.

You did not mention a price range. Potential negatives perhaps (No issue for me)

1. No remote control

2. Two chassis design with large seperate power supply

3. Only 2 inputs

4. Dual volume controls

5. Only sold direct from Coincident.

Positives, superb sound quality

Utterly reliable and very rugged and solid construction external and internal.

A splendid sibling match with the excellent Frankenstein 300b SET mono blocks.

Charles