Preamp or not.

I currently have the following setup Bluesound Node 2I, Topping D90, Pass XA25, Crites Type B speakers.
I originally had a Sunfire preamp but it failed. Then I upgraded my system last year. I tried a passive pre amp but removed it and now run the DAC direct to amp. The passive sounded fine but I ended up running it at full volume. No remote. I use the Bluesound ap to change volume. My thinking was less is better. My speakers are efficient and dynamic.

The Topping puts out 2V. Pass told me this is adequate. I am wondering what a preamp would do. How would it improve or degrade the sound? How much gain do I want from the preamp? Tube or solid state? Any other suggestions are welcome or should I just leave this alone? I don’t like buying, selling and failing. Here are some I saw that look interesting.

Pro-Ject Pre

Doge

Modwright

Van Alstine

I would like to spend 2000 or less. I don’t need Phono. Remote volume would be nice. Thank you again.

128x128daledeee1

Showing 1 response by adg101

I have a ModWright LS36.5 that I recently pulled out of the system and running a RME ADI 2fs DAC with a Teddy Pardo supply direct to my Pass. It sounds great direct and I’m in no hurry to throw the MW back in anytime soon. The RME/Teddy is so clean and revealing and is not missing anything the MW offers, but the noise floor is much lower that the littlest of detail doesn’t get lost and the bottom end is on another level. Before I spent anything over $1,600 I’d consider the RME/Teddy combo if you’re not spinning vinyl, which I do so I will be keeper my ModWright for now. The ModWright is still a great preamp so if a must to get a preamp they’re highly recommended. Before my LS36.5 I had a SWL 9.0 SE and that too is a killer preamp... not as revealing as the LS37.5 but still outstanding.