Pre Pro advice. NAD T 187 or??

I know that this topic has been covered somewhat, but I don't think I have read any discussion of the NAD T187. I have a home theater room that I use almost exclusively for movies. Have Vienna Acoustics Beethovens with a VA center channel and small rears with a SVS sub for a 5.1 surround system. Using an ATI 1505 amp and have been using an old EAD Signature pre/pro that was modified a few years back. The EAD sounds great but lacks compatibility with some of the newest HD sound formats. I called a local store to ask about their recommendations for replacing the EAD and they recommended the NAD T187 at $3,000. I have a dedicated two channel setup in another room for music. Thus, HT applications are primary in this system. Any thoughts on whether the NAD is a good choice? He talked about it being modularly upgradeable both in hardware or software. Any other comparably priced (or less!) pre pros that I should consider?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.
luvwine

Showing 1 response by apbiii

I recently went through a similar process and wound up with a NAD T185 which is the previous version of the T187 to replace my NAD M15. I am quite happy with the change.

The main advantage of the NAD for me was its ability to do stellar two channel analog and the Audussy capability. The ability to decode the latest codecs was my original drive but I found it did not make as big a difference as I had expected even with 7.1.

The switching problems seem to be resolves if you use the latest firmware. I got mine used for $1200, but you could find refurbs around with warranty but I don't know if they are still available. If cost is not an issue I would expect the T187 to work quite well also but am not sure what advantages it has over the T185 other than lower retail price.