Pre Amp for a PA-7?

Hello,

First post advice please. I’m looking for a good pre amp match for the Nakamichi PA-7.  My heart was set on a CA-7 and found one for a fair price. After I “thought” the deal was done and all I had to do was wire money, the seller backed out. His reasoning…

”Hi ……, I thought about your journey so far our chat and I have to admit that the CA7A is likely not the best choice for you. The one thing that it doesn't do well is bass. I didn't feel right after not sharing that with you. I'm going to pass on selling it to you. I hope your not unhappy and if you ever want to chat hifi I would be happy to help. …..”

So questions - Is he correct on that assessment?  Or ???

If the CA-7 is a poor fit, what would you recommend as a better fit?  Prefer vintage gear, like to have a remote but not a deal breaker, for under 1k  

My equipment is challenged, as I’m just starting the journey and working on a good audio fit for mostly CD play of all types of music, 70’s thru 90’s and modern country.

Current set up:

Carver Receiver 900

Carver DTL 200 CD player

Pair of B&W CM-4’s

- Moving to build something around the PA-7

Currently have pair of Infinity SM-150’s

Yamaha NSW-2 sub 

Thank you, S

supercrow

Showing 1 response by alan505

I am a recent purchaser of a CA-7 and PA-7 combo. My previous amp was a Nakamichi TA-4A. The speakers I’m running are not known for their bass output. (Avalon Avatars) If anything, I’ve found improved bass and greater all around detail with this combination. I think the seller does not know what he’s talking about.

The CA-7 has an amazing phono section and I’m told the same holds true for the CA-5 & CA-5II.

My only complaint about the CA-7 would be that the OEM remote feels delicate. (Mine had a crack in the IR window plastic) You’re not stuck to that remote as the Harmony remote system supports the CA-7.