Powered speakers show audiophiles are confused

17 of 23 speakers in my studio and home theater systems are internally powered. My studio system is all Genelec and sounds very accurate. I know the best new concert and studio speakers are internally powered there are great technical reasons to design a speaker and an amp synergistically, this concept is much more important to sound quality than the vibration systems we often buy. How can an audiophile justify a vibration system of any sort with this in mind.

128x128donavabdear

@donavabdear , I think this thread is spot on, you asked an obvious question and I don't know there is an obvious answer. As an active speaker user myself I agree with all the benefits. 

Can’t win this religious battle on rationality alone. "Powered speakers will fail and then what will I do" is the most idiotic refrain I’ve ever heard.

My Dynaudio Focus 20XD are still perfectly fine with daily use for both music and TV after nearly 8 years. Simple setup, and incredible sound -- something unbeaten by Hegel 190 + LS 50 + Paradigm subwoofer when I had that itch.. many cables later, the Focus 20 remain while the other paraphernalia has gone.

People who want separates should get them, knock yourself out, but stop with the argument of "if my powered speaker breaks"..

@mglik

"Surprised no mention of ATC.

Some of the best sound I have ever had was with ATC Anniversary 50s...."

Absolutely! Perhaps the best sound is provided by ATC speakers - which is why so many studio engineers use them.

And... of course... Legacy Audio speakers are among the very best available!

You can’t discount the "synergy" provided by the engineer’s work to match the electronics to the drivers and enclosure - it makes a for superb sounding systems.

Though - I would agree with the concern that if you have an issue with the internal electronics (the amps)... it’s going to be a real "pain in the arse" to get them repaired. I recently canceled my order for Legacy Audio Aeris (one of the best sounding speakers available)... because... they weigh so much and are very difficult to move... and... I didn’t want to risk having to service the internal amp(s). On the other hand... if... you’re young and can "bench 300+ lbs" you may be delighted with the Aeris - I would have been!

Of course... if you listen to the electronics recommendations of the designer of the speakers... the results can be about as good... as if the designer also designs the electronics. Harbeth’s sound amazing with the amps suggested by the designer (e.g. Hegel, etc.) ... but... they can also sound amazing with selected other amps (e.g. such as the HL5’s with the Finalle Sesto Elemento tube amp - see You Tube video). If you’re up for the search for the right "synergy," then go for it!

I agree, you can have an incredible system creating synergy with amps and speakers. You just can’t do it for the same budget.

A pair of these for $600? (on sale currently 50% off) This isn’t a just a pair of speakers, it is an entire system, all you need is to plug them in, download a free app and you are streaming. If you got a sub, a CDP, a turntable, just plug it into the speaker:

Soundstage Review:

Configured as a stereo pair, the PW 600s sounded outstanding, easily rivaling separate speakers and electronics costing many times their $1198/pair price.

Spending $7000 on these speakers (that are really an entire system) you are getting 1400 watts of bespoke class A/B and D amps, the preamp that can connect anything, even a turntable or HDMI, plus high resolution dac (and saving money on speaker cables) is a good investment. I doubt you could better with separates on the same budget:

What HiFi-

"If you're thinking the driver set-up looks a little familiar, it’s because KEF’s flagship Blade Meta loudspeakers use something very similar. Given those speakers cost a cool £30,000 ($35,000), it’s a signal of intent that KEF’s decided to trickle this technology down to the LS60 Wireless."