Plz advise on Denon PRA 1500/POA 2400

Hi guys, I am new to stereo hifi. I was using quite a vintage solid state integrated Marantz PM 550 DC. And recently bought a used and well taken care Denon pre & power amp. I read that they are quite some guys here using the pra 1500 or poa 2400. I hope you guys could help me with some newbie questions.

For the Denon PRA 1500

- It seems like the volume pot has got to turn to 9'o clock at least before I could start hearing some music from the speaker is this normal? Below 9'o clock there is almost no sound.

- what is the variable loudness actually for?

- Subsonic?

-I have a yamaha EQ-70 any idea how I can loop EQ in to the PRA? ( There are quite afew PB & REC RCAs )
flyinmozart

Showing 5 responses by hifiman5

I have no experience with the PRA 1500 and POA 2400 but if they sound anything like my PRA 1000 and POA 1500 from many years ago, you should have quite sweet sound. The only limitation that I ran into with the amp was it was not a high current design and needed to be paired with reasonably efficient speakers.
My POA 1500 only put out 150 watts and was marginal with the medium efficiency speakers I was using with it. The 2400 at 500 watts must be quite the powerful beast! You should be good to use it with almost any speaker.
Unless you go nuts with the volume, you cannot blow up speakers with too powerful an amplifier. You CAN damage speakers if you listen at high volume with an amplifier that is not powerful enough for the speakers you are using. In that case the speaker voice coil heats up as the volume increases past the capacity of the amplifier because an over-driven amp puts out great amounts of distortion, and the distortion causes voice coil overheating. That's when you are damaging the speakers.
i would think that the output transistors are on the left side of the amp as that is getting hot. Wherever the output transistors are, there is the heat.