Plinius sa250 overheating

my sa250 mkiv is overheating when run in class a for about two hours at which time it shuts down. runs great in ab mode. the amp has been serviced by a plinius authorized tech with some improvement. has anyone else had similar problems or have any suggestions?
danderson

Showing 2 responses by linnlp12

I have a Plinius Sa250mkIV which I have been running for awhile. I had my first shut down this weekend. I normally run the amp for 4 to 10 hours in class A, decent volume with no problem. This is with Martin Logan CLS IIz speakers which are a difficult load. I changed to a Shunyata Sidewinder power cord based on a recommendation from an audio dealer in Chicago. This is the first time I ran it with this cord. After a 6 hour run time with no problems, left it running as I normally do (goes to AB after 30 minutes) and went to sleep. Next day, hit the button to go to class a and it shut down immediately. I found I had blown 2 fuses when I started it back up.. Changed the fuses, put the regular cord back on and no problem. Dont know if this is chance or what, but that cord will not go on again. If you are using an accessory power cord, you may want to check this. It cant hurt anyways. I emailed technical service in NZ when I thought I had a problem and they responded promptly. You might want to email them, I was very impressed with the quick response time. I am very happy with this amp and company, one of the best solid state I have ever heard. It is one of my 2 keeper amps, the other being Cary SLM-200 monos, the best tube amps I have ever heard or owned. Good luck with your quest, try contacting New Zealand. I beleive they will try to help you out based on my experience.
Sean, interesting reply. I had not thought of that. I appreciate the response, gave me something to think about. The CLS IIZ are a brutal load but the ams sounds so good on them. Ditto for my Cary's but the bass is a bit better with the Plinius. Now I am not sure what I am going to do about the cord. Maybe I will give it a try on less demanding speakers. For the original poster with the overheat problem, maybe the cord solution will work in "reverse". Thanks again.