Plinius 9200 Driving Magnepan 3.6Rs

Hi .. I am fairly new to this site, however I do have a question that is on my mind. I own a Plinius 9200 Integrated Amp ... and am auditioning a pair of Magnepan 3.6R speakers. My question/concern ... when driven to acceptable volumes (volume control to around 11 o'clock or slightly greater) how hot should I expect this amplifier to run with the Maggie's load? It would seem to me that it's rather hot after about 30 minute's use, but I have no reference to compare it to. Should I choose more efficient speakers with a higher impedance?? Or is the Plinius a normally hot running amp. It is located in a well ventilated in an open rack. Any comments/advice would be much appreciated!!
rfstock

Showing 1 response by portlandlay

I have not used the Plinius amp but they are said to be pretty rugged. Since the maggies are a 4 ohm load the amp has to deliver more current and you are going to get more heat. If the amp shuts down that is one thing but being warm to the touch is likely fine.

If you like the combination you have you may want to try an autoformer ($450) which will make the maggie look like an 8 ohm load to the amp.