Pleasurably better, not measurably better

I have created a new phrase: pleasurably better.

I am giving it to the world. Too many technophiles are concerned with measurably better, but rarely talk about what sounds better. What gives us more pleasure. The two may lie at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I use and respect measurements all the time, but I will never let any one of them dictate to me what I actually like listening to.

erik_squires

I haven't tested my system for it's distortion, although I suggest it is low (the speakers have very low distortion (under .4% at 35 Hz).  However, I am astonished at the differences in sonic texture of different recordings with close miked jazz maintaining the least differentiation in sound (especially Rudy Van Gelder recordings).   The range of sound is as wide as the colors in the rainbow (that's very wide).  

There are certain things that cannot be determined without measurement.

Is your enjoyment of music one of them?

Here’s my dedicated room front door panel phrase:

”You can listen all you mesure, but you can’t mesure all you listen”

Mainly, you can’t mesure sound perception.

Do you agree?

@pinotnoir Absolutely! I have a 27 page/20 1312 comment response forum on Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy and an additional rebuttal forum (current) which debunks the absolutists who claim that measurements tell all. ASR/Amir eliminates all cables and tweaks as snake oil if they are not inexpensive (cables) or worthless (tweaks).

This chase for neutrality (or accuracy or however you want to call it) makes me wonder. Audio setups with a strong sonic signature aside, it‘s like investing so much in finding something that has least personality. From the top of my hat I can‘t think of any hobby or whatever gives you pleasure where least personality is something widely accepted as the ultimate goal.

“I went out dining, and let me tell you, that casserole was so accurate. I loved its linearity. I measured it.“

I‘m joking of course, but I think there‘s something to it.