Please recommend speakers

I’m just starting my audiophile journey and want to make sure I pair the right equipment before going too far down the rabbit hole. I am coming into this as a complete newbie. I listen pretty much to everything but mostly pop, classical and jazz in a fairly large-ish lower level living room (maybe 20 x 20 feet square) and speakers sitting on bookshelves. I know they should be on stands or floor-mounted, but that doesn’t really work for me right now space-wise. So far I have Jamo 803 bookshelf speakers with newly purchased SMSL DA-9 amp and matching SMSL SU-9 DAC (previously was using an old NAD D 3020 V1 integrated amp with direct connection from iPad to internal DAC). Now I stream directly from an old iPhone/iPad via a USB camera adapter to the DAC which has balanced connections to the DA-9 amp. I pretty much stream music exclusively (currently on free trials with Tidal and Amazon HD). No other sources. No library to speak of. No headphones. The Jamos sound great to me, but I feel like I need something better to pair with the mid-fi DAC and AMP. So I’m looking for upgrade the Jamo 803s which were purchased on sale for $130. Looking to spend up to maybe $800 for a pair. Recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Edit:  Here's what I'm considering so far.  KEF350, Polk R200s, Audio Monitor Bronze.  Thoughts on pros and cons?  Anything else?

expresstrain

Showing 7 responses by expresstrain

Lol, I knew I should have left that part out.  I have a feeling I will end up getting stands also, but it's a process...  

I’m definitely more value oriented when purchasing things so the demo/used route makes more sense. Browsing through the ads here I’m seeing a set of KEF LS50s for $800.

Will look at the paradigm S2s and Revel M106s also. I am finding I do prefer more detail (hence the purchase of the DAC).

Getting stands also seems to make more sense if I purchase used.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone.  I am intrigued by the Tekton Design Mini Lore, and will be keeping an eye on the ads for paradigm S2, revel M106, audio monitor bronze, LS50s and anything else that pops up in my price range.   I think a high efficiency speaker will be important as I suspect a small tube amp will be next on my upgrade list for this system.  As others have noted, this small system will not fill out the large room.  I do have a home theater system set up in the same space with floor standing, ceiling and surround speakers, which I occasionally use for listening to music.  It can definitely fill up the space with sound.  I know this smaller bookshelf system is not going to fill up the room, but I'm just looking to build something I can also use for detailed listening at a relatively short distance.  Thanks again for the recs!

Thanks for looking up the specs on the DA-9 amp.  I will keep that in mind for sure.  Perhaps I should also consider the Klipsch 600M (sensitivity of 96db).  I don't really listen at very high volumes, but I do want to be able to get the best out of the amp/speaker pairing.   

Seems like a bit out of my league here after reading the other thread about speaker recommendations for $130k!  But I very much appreciate all the time people have taken to respond.  It does seem like the advice I'm getting here is a bit different than what I have been gathering from popular audiophile review sites and YouTube channels.  Maybe I shouldn't trust those reviews so much...

@tomic: I’m keeping the NAD D3020, but the analog input doesn’t work anymore for some reason.  Only the digital input works.  So I was using my iPad connected directly to the USB port which fed into the internal DAC of the NAD integrated amp.  I was happy with that set up for a while, but then I wanted to try a better DAC.  I ended up getting the SMSL SU-9 DAC which seemed to be a good value for what was offered.  But then I needed a new amp because the NAD didn’t accept analog input.  I kind of randomly chose the SMSL DA-9 amp because it stacks nicely with the SU-9 DAC.  But the DA-9 amp is not that powerful.  50wpc at 8 ohms, 90wpc at 4 ohms.  Prob should have spent more time looking for a better amp. But ce la vie.

@audioman58: the amp is SMSL DA9.  50wpc@8 ohms, 90wpc@4.

@leemaze: I’ve considered combining the two but I prefer a separate system for just listening to music.  The home theater set up is in kind of a side nook for lower light due to a projection screen.   If I ever move to a larger house where I can have a dedicated AV room for music and movies, I would love to get the Wharfedale Elysian 4 though.  

Thanks everyone! So here’s the final list in approximate ranked order from most to least likely, though I haven’t entirely decided yet. I need to spend some time browsing the used ads on a regular basis to familiarize myself with what is out there especially the brands with which I am not familiar. Certainly the less risky approach is to go with a brand that is well known and respected, and given my general approach to things, this is likely the path I will take, at least until I learn a lot more about high-end audio. But I also respect what the smaller companies are trying to do and recognize there is potentially great value being offered. I know it’s not easy competing with the big brands with huge marketing budgets. I appreciate all the advice and recs, and the lively debate that has opened my eyes a bit to the world of high-end audio. Without further ado, here’s my final rank list:

1) Klipsch 600M (new) - high efficiency so good match for my 50wpc amp, good for detail, good reputation

2) Monitor Bronze (new) or Monitor Silver (used) - good reputation, detail, appreciate the design

3) Original KEF LS50 (used) - excellent reputation, detail, risk of purchasing used speaker that is several years old

4) Wharfedale Diamond - excellent reputation for value, warm sound will balance the SMSL SU-9 DAC, but will likely be looking at Wharfedale for floorstanders in the future and want to have a contrasting pair of bookshelf speakers for more technical listening

5) Wharfedale EVO 4 - could be the dark horse here, need to look into this some more, curious about the AMT tweeter

OP here. Thanks again for all of the sage advice! I am definitely out of my league here in terms of budget and experience, but it’s good to get advice from those who know a lot more than me. I need to go through all of this information in detail once I have a couple of hours free. Just some general comments:

1) The bookshelf on which the speakers are placed is an open Etagere style bookshelf with an open back, so there is approximately 10" of space between the back of the speaker and the wall. Still not ideal, but maybe not as bad as an enclosed bookshelf with the speaker pushed up against the back panel.

2) The Jamo 803s which I currently have on the bookshelf are front ported, and perhaps that is why I feel that the Jamos sound great for what I paid for them (around $130 for the pair). But if I narrow down my choices to front or side-ported speakers that would fit within the bookshelf space (less than 14-1/2" height) I have much smaller category of choices. Elacs are often front-ported, but most won’t meet the height requirement. Perhaps the Golden Ear BRX would be a good choice? I haven’t seen that mentioned by anyone. The LS50s would fit in that space, but are rear-ported. I think I would likely get stands if I ended up getting the LS50s, however.  Many of the speakers on my shortlist are too tall.  The Klipsch 600Ms are too tall.  And the Monitor Audio Silver 100s are 1/4" too tall.  The Polk R200s would fit but are rear-ported.  

3) I do have a subwoofer (Polk PSW111).