Please...Advice For The Speakerly Challenged

Hello all.

Well, I have been shopping around South Central Texas (Austin and San Antonio) audio dealers for a new set of speakers as an upgrade to replace my aging Klipsch KG-5.5's. Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of new speakers to audition in my neck of the woods when considering the seemingly astronomical numbers of manufacturers these days. What I hope to gain here is advice from knowledgeable audiophiles who may have heard the speakers I have auditioned. Perhaps said audiophiles could then recommend other brands I have not heard to consider buying based on what I have already heard. Hopefully I am making sense. I like rock, jazz, classical, world, new age and electronic more than any other genres. My budget is up to $4000, but I would like to hold it down to less than 3k if possible. I would definitely consider buying good used speakers. I am currently using a pair of solid state 200 watt/ch monoblocks for power.

What I have always liked about Klipsch speakers is the great dynamics, wide soundstage, good detail and deep bass response. What I have not been crazy about is the somewhat harsh upper mids and a boomy spike in the mid bass with my KG's (could be a mode). I really detest speakers that have a boxy coloration more than anything else, much preferring a neutral sound.

Here are the speakers I have auditioned so far:

Paradigm Monitor 7 - a fine little floorstander, but I worry that it will not fill a larger room to my liking.

Paradigm Studio 60 and 100 - Really liked the 60 and loved the 100. Really liked the 100 with jazz, rock and new age. Could be a little better with detail.

Dynaudio Excite X32 - I absolutely loved this speaker. It was the most detailed I have heard under 4K, with wonderful mids and outstanding tonal balance. Would only like a little fuller bottom end, but this is a minor quibble with this one. The next model above X36 might just fit my bill, but the dealer had none in stock.

Polk Audio RTI-A9 - Sounded thin and looked somewhat cheap, probably because it was. I really expected more based on reviews, but I guess I should not have. Likely the room acoustics were a big factor though, as I listened to them at Fry's, ugh.

PSB Synchrony 2. I really liked this speaker, but I listened back and forth against the Dynaudio, and it just did not measure up against the Excite X32 overall to my ear.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart. This speaker had a lot to like including accuracy, detail, soundstage and balance, but it had a little boxy sound that put me off. I also thought it was overpriced.

Martin Logan. Listened to several models and liked none. Good mids including nice vocal reproduction, but did not like much else.

B&W 684. This was perhaps the very worst mid or hi-fi loudspeaker I have ever heard. To my ear it sounded like lo-fi crap. I know there are good B&W speakers, but not this one. I thought it was blown, but it was auditioned in a high end home theater store. Extremely overpriced IMO.

Magnepan 1.7 - This was a very fine speaker, but I just can't abide the looks. I would also have to buy a quick sub too, which considering their cost might not be a big problem.

Klipsch RF-83 - I really liked this speaker. It was similar in sound to my KG 5.5's, but with a little less clarity in the bottom end, which was a negative. The mids and highs were better than my current Klipsch speakers.

For any who are still with me, could you lend advice on what I should consider in addition to the above and based upon what I have liked in these speakers. Thanks so much.
chap_cat

Showing 1 response by 4musica44107

Another vote for the Alon Mk V. I owned the IV's for several years and loved them. Back then, bass response was more important than it is now and that is the only reason I chose the IV's over the V's. If I were making the choice today between the two, I would go with the V's. And the V's should work nicely with your preferred budget.