PICK ONE... ONKYO 805 or MARANTZ 8001

I'm trying to decide on a new (to me anyways) receiver.

I've narrowed it down to these two:
MARANTZ - SR 8001
ONKYO - TX SR 805

About the only big deal I see bwtween them in their feature set is the 805 has better video flexibility & the HDMI 1.3 thingy. THEIR POWER RATING IS ABOUT EQUAL AND ALL i WOULD NEED.

The HDMI 1.3 does seem attractive for multi ch. high res audio playback via a single wire bundle, BUT not having heard anything through one, I'm skeptical on it's performance level and would think the Marantz the more musical of the pair... albeit the need for RCA cables for SACD.

The onkyo is also cheaper.

Any other thoughts or experiences here on support or performance, would be super and greatly appreciated.
blindjim

Showing 1 response by avguygeorge

I hang at AVS a lot and the word on the 805 is,it runs hot and has some noise issues. This is early on,whereas the discs and some players aren't standard I'm sticking with my older Marantz and use the analog outs on the player and straight to the display for the video. There are so many inconsistencies within the formats;some in the audio some in the video.--this refers to some players don't output all the audio formats over hdmi and my 1080p projector doesn't do frame for frame conversion. SO,I say do all the homework and make sure your player and display do all the new format is capable of before you leap into your new reciever.