Phono Stage Advice

Looking to add a phono stage to my recently upgraded system.

A few months ago I went the tube route by adding an Audio Research Ref 160S amplifier and a Ref 6SE line stage preamplifier.  In addition I got back into vinyl with a Pro-ject 6 Perspex SB.  I have decided to stay in the vinyl game but believe I need to add a dedicated phono stage to improve my phono sound.  Currently, I have my phono connected into my HT MX160 McIntosh preamp and then I put the ref 6se preamp into pass thru mode. My belief is that I can get much better sound if I directly connect my phono into the ref 6SE (bypassing McIntosh MX160) but to do that I need a phono stage OR am I overthinking this and will not get a much better sound and stick with current set up.  I am impressed with the tube sound but open to SS if that makes better sense.

Additional Components involved:

Wilson Audio Alexia speakers, transparent cabling, sumiko cartridge, Lumin T2 connected directly into Audio Research preamp.  Predominantly listen to 50/60's Jazz, Classical and some rock.

I am also open to upgrading my TT if you think that should be part of my solution.

I would like to stay under $10K for the phono line stage and separately under $10K for a phono upgrade including cartridge.

Look forward to the creative solutions and thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

Woots

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xwoots

Showing 1 response by tomic601

First you have top flight tube gear w ARC selections you have made. IMO, knowing well several  of the top 5 ARC dealers in the country ( Randy at Optimal Enchantment ) in Santa Monica and Johnny at Audio Connection in Verona NJ and Alan Jones at HiFi buys in Atlanta, can assist you w a complex upgrade…to get the MOST out of those stellar ARC components.

Having said that, SOTA w Origin live arm, Lyra or similar cartridge from Donna as @sbank astutely mentions is a great path. Your system deserves a stellar phono stage ! 

Best to you on your search. Also put a Degritter RCM in the budget for sure.

Jim