Phono Preamp price range $2000-$4000

I want to buy new Phono preamp for Shelter 9000 cart, the sound i want very neutral and high resolution and balanced, also synergic with Krell gear.

JC3 have good reviews but some complaint its noisy, Sutherland Duo look very promising but no reviews, Pass lab XP-15 sound good choice.

I appreciate any comments or thoughts about these models particularly Duo. Also some suggestion for other phonos, most reliable and popular, also sonically impressive.

Cheers.

Thank you.
knight7m

Showing 6 responses by bpoletti

Tubes in well designed phono stage will last for a LONG time. I've had the same tubes in my Herron VTPH-1 for 15 years.

SS or tubes? Most people buy what sounds good to them.
In that price range, in my studied opinion, the Herron VTPH-2 is hands-down the very best available. I think it's one of the very best available at ANY price, but at less than $4,000, it rules.
Re; Herron VTPH-2 input impedance. Not an issue as it is easily user-adjustable. Loading for MC and MM cartridges is handled externally in a simple manner.
Almarg - That's a good question for Keith Herron. he is in the best position to report the phono stage's capabilities.
It's ALL about the sound. All these side discussions are meaningless. Top quality phono stages overcome most of the weaknesses noted here.

Stick with a top brand and listen for yourself. All the opinions here don't mean anything. It's how a unit performs in YOUR system with YOUR cartridge and YOUR preamp that counts.