Perfect Path Tecnologies ‘The Gate’

Having been a music lover and audio enthusiast for more decades than I care to admit to I’ve had the privilege of owning some tremendous components over those years and thought I had attained a level of musical enjoyment that would be difficult to improve upon without spending more money than I could afford. Then along came The Gate to turn my audio conceptions on end. 

While I was quite skeptical of all of the positive proclamations regarding the Perfect Path mats, cards and contact enhancer ( how could they possibly bring about such sonic improvements?) I took the plunge and purchased a nano bundle to see what the hubbub was all about. Much to my surprise they not only brought about improvements to my systems’ ability to recreate a more musical sound but did so in spades. 

When Tim of Perfect Path Technologies asked if I wanted to try his new product, The Gate, I jumped at the chance thinking it would be a nice addition to what the other products provided. I wasn’t prepared for the quantum leap The Gate brought to my music listening pleasure. As much as the other products brought about a much lower noise floor, greater detail and delicacy, improved dynamics, richer tone and more realism The Gate does so in magnitudes difficult to describe. The best way I can describe its affect is unreal purity leading the most realistic musical sound I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing.....outside of a live performance obviously. It has me listening to all of my CD’s as if for the first time again.

I have no idea how The Gate actually works or what it does I just know it’s the most dramatic tweak to my system I’ve ever experienced and I wouldn’t think of being without it. As to how it’s implemented, it’s installed in the electrical panel with one lead connected to the common buss and the other to a breaker ( preferably 220). Hope I got the terminology correct.....I’m far from being an electrician!

At $4,999.00 it’s not cheap but worth every penny to me as I’ve spent more on components with less sonic improvement. 

Lastly, I realize some will scoff at something they can’t understand and I get not understanding it as I don’t, but I would hope people could keep their skepticism healthy and civil. I am not here to promote or sell, nor do I have any affiliation with PPT. I am only sharing something that I’ve found to be transforming in my system. Sorry for the lengthy introduction.
128x128mac48025

Showing 39 responses by mac48025

Don’t even get me started thinking like that Frank! I never even contemplated multiple Gates. Dear God, that could be more than my mind could handle.
@lak- the cost can be daunting at first but for its impact I find it very cost effective. The Gate has brought about greater sonic benefits than components that I’ve spend thousands more on and for those with multiple systems it’s particularly worthwhile as every system in your house will benefit from it. All of our tv’s have the pictures ever. 

@sbayne- I installed it myself. It was very simple and easy and took all of five minutes. For anyone uncomfortable with working in an electrical panel a handyman or electrician is probably best for installation.  One lead is connected to common and the other to a breaker, preferably a 220 breaker as it increases the Gates affect. The Gate itself easily fits inside the panel, resting on the bottom of it. I’ll get some pics of it installed this weekend and add to my system page here. 
I can’t attest to that yet Ozzy as it’s only been in a week since installing the Gate. I hope so though as my electric bills are quite high during the summer as my koi ponds’ pump’s consume a lot of electricity so I’ll let you know after next months electric bill comes in. 

I can say that I’ve turned my refrigerators thermostats down since installing the Gate.....items on the lower shelf were freezing, that never happened before. I can only assume that the Gate is allowing the refrigerators to run more efficiently? Maybe the lighting in the house will make me look younger now! A man can dream can’t he?
Thank you Frank, you described the Gate much better than I and I concur with all of your observations and assessments. 

Describing the affects of the Gate is quite difficult as it’s a level of purity I’ve never experienced before. Words don’t do it justice. All of my other tweaks ( isolation, grounding cables, PPT mats and cards) were all beneficial in lowering noise and allowing more of the music to flow forth but their cumulative affect doesn’t match that of the Gate. It’s crazy just how much closer the Gate brings one to the sound of the musicians ....as if they were there before you. It’s eerie. 

I had the same break in experience. Day 1......meh. Day 2.....wow. Day 3....are you kidding me, is this my system? Every day after has been a slight improvement and if it continues for another 4 weeks or more I may never leave my listening room 😀

I can’t wait to have some fellow Agoner’s over to hear what I’m hearing ......just to confirm I’m not crazy if nothing else. Ok, at least that I’m not crazy regarding the affects of the Gate.....other aspects of my sanity shall remain confidential 😜
Well said Krissy. The Gate definitely deserves a label much greater than a tweak, but there isn’t a current way to properly describe it. Power correction device works for me. 

@uberwaltz, I own the P.I. Audio Uberbuss and Equitech Son of Q and as well as both of these power conditioners work they don’t compare to what the Gate does. I use the Uberbuss in my system and it lowers the noise floor without compromising dynamics at all and I had thought my noise floor was as low as it could get with the addition of two Gutwire Ultimate grounding cables and the PPT mat, cards and TC. Boy was I wrong, the Gate has lowered the noise floor to a depth I knew not existed and it keeps getting better every day. It’s really remarkable just how much music I was missing hidden behind whatever noise/grunge/distortion that was in my signal before adding the Gate. The Gate is appropriately named as it’s opened up a whole new world of musical purity and enjoyment for me 
For those that have I asked for a picture of the Gate installed in the panel, I posted a pic on my Virtual System page. Sorry that it’s not the greatest pic but the lighting wasn’t very good. There are two wires that come out of the Gate on the left end, one is attached to the common and the other to one of the 220 breakers. The Gate is laying on the bottom of the panel. It doesn’t have the label or clear sleeve over it like the production models will have. Hope that helps. 

Vibes sound so alive and real, Frank....and yes, I need to have Charles over for a listen. 
Thanks Mike, reality sums up best what the Gate has brought to my system. The sense of ambience is unreal. Tone is to die for.  The noise floor gets lower seemingly every day. With it only being in my system for 10 days I can’t imagine what it will sound like in another 3-4 weeks. 

Spending this much on anything audio isn’t something I do lightly or easily but it’s a no brainer for me after hearing the results. It allows every component to perform at its best, or at least close to it. It’s as if I upgraded every component in my system, which would be much more costly than the Gate. And for those with multiple systems the Gate will be even more beneficial and cost effective.

Interesting idea ozzy, would like to hear Tim’s thoughts on that.  Could be a way for apartment dwellers to use it. 

Thanks t_ramey but the congrats go to Tim, he’s created something very special with the Gate. 

I look forward to hearing from others as they receive their Gates. 

Frank, Bobby Hutcherson has never sounded better on my system!
The master electrician who installed my panel last year is coming out to take a look at my Gate and do some testing. I’ll share his findings here but I don’t expect any problems. The Gate doesn’t exhibit any heat at all and there haven’t been any breakers tripped since its installation, so I can’t imagine there’s any short circuits anywhere. 

Like Frank, I checked out every component and cable in my system and not a single one is UL listed. It never occurred to me to look before now. While having the listing gives some additional confidence in a products safety I’ve had many electrical devices without it for decades without issue......so unless my electrician says otherwise I’m good without it. 

On an audio note the Gates sonic benefits increase daily, something I didn’t think possible. It amazes me as to how much purity, clarity, detail and ambience is now so effortlessly brought forth that I never heard before. I couldn’t go back to an audio life without the Gate. I know it sounds so hyperbolic but to be honest I’m actually tapering my enthusiasm over it. 
Correct jafreeman, it can either be piggybacked onto an existing breaker or put into an empty one and yes, putting into a 220 breaker is best. I initially hooked mine up to a 110 breaker and after switching it to a 220 I heard a noticeable improvement right away. 
I had my master electrician look at the installation of my Gate and did some testing and said I had nothing at all to worry about and that it’s perfectly safe. As a matter of fact he wants one for himself after hearing my system.....he heard it last year after installing my new panel and dedicated circuits and was quite impressed with the new sound. I did not have him install the Gate as it was so easy that I did it myself but wanted him to check it out for safety purposes. It’s not going anywhere now!

Hey Fazee,

That can happen when there’s a flurry of posts. Hopefully Tim or Krissy will see this post in order to answer your questions. 

I’m guessing the Gate will work just fine for you but Tim or Krissy will need to confirm that. I’m not sure about apartment usage either but I bet there’s something in the works for that. 
I admit that I tend to lump all signal noise into the noise floor, but obviously there’s all kinds of noise entering our systems. Isolation has been very beneficial in lowering noise/grunge/distortion or whatever along with the PPT products, grounding products like the Gutwire grounding cables and now the SR active grounding block SE and the Uberbuss passive power conditioner. They’ve all contributed to a cleaner, more pure sound with blacker backgrounds but nothing to the extent of the Gate. 
Congrats uberwaltz, you’re in for a real treat. I’m looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Its been so much fun listening to CD’s I’ve heard so many times before but not like I’m hearing them now. I have Aric Audio building me some amazing 300B SET monoblocks with dual external power supplies that I can’t wait to hear with the Gate. I may not leave the listening room all summer......the garden won’t be happy 🍃

I’ll need to buy a hair piece, I’ve already flipped my lid with the Gate! 🤯
Never said the adjectives weren’t overused....just the best way for me to describe it. You get what you pay for with my reviews 🔊😜🔊
Well said sgordon1, putting into words the affect of the Gate in traditional audiophile terms, or any other terms for that matter, isn’t easy as the totality of the sonic improvements  doesn’t seem to fit within our normal audiophile nomenclature. 

I believe such descriptors as realism, purity, liveliness, presence and intimacy describe the Gates affects quite well......not the most ‘audiophile ‘ way of putting it though. 

Congrats on your new Gate and welcome to the club!
Yes, the Gate can be connected to either a 110 or 220 breaker but 220 is recommended as it’s affect is more powerful.

i just sent my 300B SET amp in for a total upgrade and had to throw in my old Proceed Amp 2 in the system until my new amps arrive. I always enjoyed the Proceed in my home theater but for two channel listening I’m a tube guy all the way. While the Proceed doesn’t do for me what my SET does it sounds better than ever with the Gate doing its thing. I’m amazed at the sound I’m getting and it has me wondering what First Watt or something similar would sound like in my system now......I’m too much in love with my SET to cheat on her to find out though 😎
Just wait uberwaltz, as good as it’s sounding now you ain’t heard nothin yet! Yes, it not only gets better but a lot better with more time. Glad to hear you’re enjoying it and hearing what I heard the first day......hold on to your hat tomorrow though. 

I could be totally wrong but I believe the Gate delivers more than just clean power.....it energizes the power somehow, if that makes any sense. Tim would be able to give a scientific explanation but you’re stuck with my amateur description for now 😁
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Gate in your system so much uberwaltz. Dare I say “ I told you so”? 😀 When the music sounds so ‘right’ like we are hearing it’s quite addictive. Like hearing all of your old records/cd’s for the first time.

I found removing my power conditioner improved the sound now that the Gate is installed. Originally I had the Equitech Son of Q balanced conditioner and while it really lowered the noise floor and added clarity I didn’t realize how much it was suppressing dynamics until I switched to the PI Audio Uberbuss. Now after removing the Uberbuss I’m experiencing slightly more dynamics, more bass control and more life to the music. 

Im going to make a power center with high quality outlets, power cord and wire that I’ll treat with Total Contact to plug all of my components into. I could have paid for over half of the Gates price with what I spent on the two power conditioners I no longer need. For those with multiple systems the Gate will be an economic option. 

Lalit, I think we’d all like to ‘catch up’ with Nora one of these days 😜
Hey Lalit, I get a private concert from Nora every night.......in my dreams 🌗

uberwaltz, while my PI Audio Uberbuss sounds quite good with the Gate in the system it sounds even better without it and I’m betting that a DIY power center treated heavily with TC will sound better yet. 

Thanks for sharing mribob, it’s good hearing from other Gaters about their experiences. I would imagine ones results will vary depending upon the degree of ‘grunge’ in ones AC but I also imagine that pretty much everyone will hear a sonic improvement worthy of its price. 
Sounds like a good plan, uberwaltz. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you. I may do something similar. Are you going to daisy chain or star wire the outlets? 
Congrats celtic66 and welcome to the club. 

It seemed that the greatest amount of improvement for me was from day 2 to about day 7 yet it’s been steadily improving every day since and I’m three weeks in now. Eerie is a great way to describe how much blacker the background gets.....allowing more details and purity of tone to emerge. 

Good to see more people installing the Gate, please share your impressions as it settles in.
Uberwaltz, I find that my system also sounds better without power conditioning now that I have the Gate also. In my experience balanced power conditioners and power regenerators can slightly compress dynamics and bass. Moving to the PI Audio Uberbuss made an appreciable improvement in dynamics, bass and speed in my system and going from the Uberbuss to the totally passive WyWires PowerBroker increased the same qualities slightly more again. The same goes for my TV system, better performance without power conditioning. Now I have two power conditioners I no longer need!

Like others here I’ve found the PPT products form a synergy that amplifies their affects. The Gate is profoundly powerful in its affect and enhances what the mats, cards and TC bring to the table. Upon removing my mat and cards I found the sound while very good, less engaging than with them. 

I will say that I done experimenting with moving or removing the mats and cards as they are best left alone to do their magic. Moving them starts the energizing process all over again and who wants to take steps backwards in our musical enjoyment? Not me!

Krissy, when are you guys going to come out with a PPT skull cap? I’m betting it would make me feel a hundred years younger. Ahhhhh......to feel 99 again 😜
Great synopsis mribob, it sums up what I’ve been hearing very well. I too find myself listening at louder volumes as I now can do so without any negative affects. I also find my system seemingly sounds louder than before. In other words it seems louder at the same dB level as before but it’s just that it’s more dynamic and ‘energized’ sounding. 

Hey uberwaltz, around here your ‘fans’ response isn’t surprising at all. There are a number of close minded individuals that have never heard the products affects in their systems, don’t want to hear it and yet are convinced that there’s absolutely no way the products can achieve the results we are describing and therefore we are all ‘fanboys’ and/or delusional. Hmmmm......maybe they’re in their own cult of denial? 😃

I agree Frank, the removal of signal grunge and associated lower noise floor allows for a more pure musical sound to flow forth but as good as that pure musical sound is nothing comes close to that of a live performance. 
I haven’t been able to listen to any music the last couple of weeks yet was able to do so today. Wow. I don’t know if it’s due to the long absence or the Gate settling in another two weeks but even with my back up amp the system sounds amazing. When I get my newly upgraded 300B SET  monoblocks next week I’m in for a real treat! 
Thanks folkfreak, a very interesting and well stated analysis. With so much power conditioning and grounding solutions it’s impressive to me that the Gate was able to improve upon what you have in place at all. Your system is quite impressive and obtaining even the slightest improvement can’t be easy yet must be very rewarding.

I think your hypothesis is spot on. The Gate brings one closer to the original recording.....for good or bad. 

I tried the SR Active Grounding Block SE after installing the Gate and didn’t hear enough of a sonic improvement to warrant me keeping it. I also found my system sounds better without power conditioning when using the Gate. I notice greater dynamics, better pace and greater tonal purity without a power conditioning. The SR grounding black provided an even blacker background, albeit just slightly, and while nice I couldn’t justify spending that much on such a slight improvement.....especially after experiencing such a drastic improvement with the Gate. 

Having said that, implementing a SR Powercell UEF 12 SE with their Active Grounding Block SE along with the Gate would be magical most likely, except I’d have to sell a kidney to afford it! 😜

What folkfreaks system demonstrates is how versatile the Gate is in imparting it’s affects upon a system. For those of us with less extensive systems the Gate can be a revelation. Even those like folkfreak with very well implemented power conditioning and grounding solutions the Gate can still provide some special sonic improvements. 
Lak,

I had one mat, ten cards and treated with TC before adding the Gate and like Frank said the Gate’s impact was immense. I believe it would be an equally immense sonic improvement on a system without any other PPT products but the overall affect wouldn’t be as good as the additive affect achieved using all of their products. 
It’s night all the time since installing the Gate for me. Ultra pure signal any time of the day. Love it!

fazee,
The Gate does not plug into an outlet. It has two wires coming out of it. One wire is connected to the common buss inside of the electrical panel and the other wire connects to a circuit breaker....preferably 220v. The Gate itself sits at the bottom of the panel.

Not sure what voltages you’re dealing with so Tims input would be best. I believe I have pics on my ‘ virtual system’ page of it installed. If not I’ll post some soon. 
Thanks for the warning uberwaltz 😁

The Gate is a great money saver.......I haven’t been buying new cd’s as I’m enjoying listening to all of my old ones so much. Now if I could only convince my wife it’s a money saving investment 😜
Good question jafox, hopefully Tim will chime in with an answer. 

I imagine there’s a greater advantage having it in the electrical panel as it benefits the entire home but your solution would be great for apartment dwellers. Not sure an A/B comparison would be so easy as it takes days/ weeks for it to energize the signal. It will be interesting to see what Tim has to say about it. 

The Gate has afforded me the most enjoyable music listening experiences ever. It would be great for everyone to hear what it can do for a system. 
While I don’t have a vinyl rig I totally agree with you Frank, it’s amazing how much information my cd’s have that I hadn’t heard before the Gate. 

A Gate added internally to a component and grounded to the chassis? Now that’s hot rodding a component! Might be the mother of all tweaks. 

Thanks for taking the effort to do some research before labeling the Gate a rip off, noromance. There’s much more to it than meets the eye, I’m sure. I can definitely tell you it’s not a rip off as it’s provided me with as much or more musical pleasure than an component upgrade I’ve made ( some costing much more than the Gate). 

I fully understand ones skepticism about something not understood.....I was there myself before giving these products a try. They’ve been some of the best audio purchases I’ve ever made. 

I have no idea how this thing works or what’s in it and I couldn’t care less as I know what it delivers.....a purity and realism to music I’ve not previously experienced. While I don’t know for sure I’d bet my entire system that it’s not a mere capacitor. There is no way a capacitor could bring so much life and energy to the music. I believe removing RFI and EMI is part of the PPT magic but it’s not the full story. 

I look forward to hearing what your research brings and I hope you get the chance to hear the affects a Gate brings to table, it’s quite eye opening and jaw dropping to say the least. 

Fsonicsmith, I only know Tim from being a customer. I have had limited contact with Tim ( a few emails and three phone calls) and have never conversed with the Mrs in any manner. I don’t know what you’re trying to insinuate but I have no affiliation with PPT other than being a satisfied customer. I started this thread to share my experience with this incredible product. 

I realize youve never never heard a system utilizing the Gate so I can’t expect you to appreciate the value of this product but if it bothers you so much that it’s technology surpasses your ability to surmise as to how it might work, by all means feel free to ignore this thread altogether as we’d hate to contribute to any high blood pressure on your part. 😀

Neither Tim, or any inventor, owes you or anyone an explanation or justification regarding their technology. Their customer satisfaction speaks for itself. I doubt most of us could fully understand it if he did explain how it works and I don’t blame him for wanting to protect his intellectual property in the least. 

As Tim stated his 90 day return policy is very generous and speaks volumes about his confidence in his products worth. This policy definitely outweighs any marketing jargon or scientific hyperbole as far as I’m concerned. It was this policy that prompted me to give the mats and cards a try and I couldn’t be happier that I did. Maybe I should have never availed myself of the opportunity to try these products and griped about what I knew nothing about instead?
Now that’s funny? Has anyone that has actually purchased the Gate said they’ve been scammed? On the contrary, nothing but praise. Yet fsonicsmith knows better than all of us without even trying any of the products. I’d be impressed if I didn’t know how wrong he is. No hard feelings though, can’t fault him in his ignorance too much as he knows not what he speaks of. 

I love my Gate and you’d have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. Good luck with that. 😎
My findings were that there was a definite improvement upon installing the Gate in my system but I incurred even more sound improvement when removing my Equitech balanced power conditioner and SR Active Grounding Block. 

I surmise that in the case of the power condition that it wasnt needed any more once the Gate was installed as the Gate provides an even blacker background than a power conditioner without any of their limitations. With the Gate in and the power conditioner out there was an increase in dynamics and more life to the music. 

There was less less of a difference with and without the SR grounding block with the Gate. When used together there was a small increase in background blackness but upon removing the grounding block the music was more alive. Basically it didn’t make sense to me to keep the grounding block as I couldn’t warrant its cost when the Gate seems to be doing all it can.....and more. 

The Gate just may be the one tweak to rule them all. I consider it to be much more than a tweak but not sure there’s a sufficient product category for it......yet. 
For those wanting a much less expensive PPT product than the Gate I highly recommend their upcoming STOP IT. No, they don’t provide nearly the sound improvement of the Gate but at only $10 each they provide a definite increase to what the Gate already instills.

They are simple outlet covers that you plug into any unused outlet in the house. I purchased 12 and installed them throughout the house and they definitely build upon what I already have with the Gate, E-mats and cards. I had some Alan Maher devices throughout the house that thought might have made a slight sound improvement but replacing them with the PPT STOP IT plugs has made a noticeable and appreciated sound improvement.....even blacker background allowing more details and nuances to emerge. 

Tim must never sleep! 
Good question Lou and congrats on your PPT success. 

While I don’t have any experience with the newer PS Audio regenerators I prefer the sound of my system without any power conditioning since installing the Gate. I tried my old PS Audio P300 and a brand new Equitech Son of Q before and after installing the Gate and noticed an uptick in dynamics and overall fluidity with the Gate alone. Now I have two heavy power conditioners collecting dust!

My guess is that you’d be better served with adding the Gate. I’m sure the re-generator would bring about a nice sound improvement but I believe the Gate will bring about an even greater improvement......without any current limitations. Another advantage of the Gate is that all of your electronics in the house will benefit, my TV and computer screens have never looked better.
I’ve been away from audio the last few months and am pleased to see this discussion still going on. 

I installed 20 or so Stop It’s to great affect. They add to what the Gate provides. I think it’s time for more mats as I’m constantly and pleasantly surprised with each addition of of PPT’s products. 

As as far as removing other products after adding PPT I will say that I experienced a nice sound improvement after removing the six MC 0.5’s I had. The sound opened up with greater dynamics and purer tone after removing them. 

I concur with frank, marc777......a call to Tim would be very informative and beneficial to you.