Pass XA 160 review:life span is 6 years?

Hi
In recent Stereophile review of Pass Xa 160 i remember reading that it's life span is 50000 hours.Does that means if in a near future i see a 6-7 year old Xa 160 for sale i should avoid it?What about those monster Krell amps that keep on working after 20+ years without being turned off?
What in this case is a life span of X250/350?Is it why there are so many X250/X350 amps for sale?I appreciate your replies.
overhang

Showing 3 responses by jmcgrogan2

There are many X-series for sale because the XA series is out. Caps are usually the only long term maintenance issues for these big solid state amps. The higher biased the amp runs into Class A, the better it sounds (IMHO). However, the higher biasing leads to more heat, and eventual cap replacement is required. If you have a $5-10K amp, and figure you have to replace the caps every 10-20 years (depending on use and bias), that's still a lot less maintenance than tubes. Replacing the caps cost is between $200-$800 once shipping is factored in.

If you don't turn the amp on the caps will last longer.......just a thought.

Cheers,
John
Guidocorona, I stand corrected. The XA series does run a higher Class A bias though, correct?
When will Pass come out with black faceplates? I'm a fan of Nelson Pass' design work, but I'm no fan of the Pass aesthetics. They could lose those meters also.
IMHO, once you go Class A there is no going back. That's probably why I prefer the sound of the older Krell/Threshold/Levinson/Pass amps. I thought the Aleph models sounded better than the X-series. I'll have to give the XA's a listen.