Pass labs earlier X series amps with a Classe SSP -800 pre ?

Hello,

Has anyone run older pass labs x series amps with a  Classe SSP -800  pre ?

Also, are the older Pass Labs amps better for home theater as opposed to the newer ones?

I thought I had read somewhere the earlier Pass amps had more slam for home theater.

Yes I'm aware the Pass amps are more designed for music.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tim

the19thhole

@the19thhole "Yes I’m aware the Pass amps are more designed for music."

You already have your answer. While I like the older X amps, very nice, I previously tried using multiple former Class A/AB "music" amps in my home theater and it did not work out well for me. Also, a lot of unnecessary heat and waste of an amplifier for watching TV & Movies imo. Not until I changed again was it apparent. Same goes for some speakers that work better for home theater, ime.

I then split duty and went back to a dedicated AVR / multi-channel super clean and transparent AB amp, runs cooler, for home theater. The first thing I noticed was the dialogue picked way up, easier to understand what people are saying, TV, movies.

If necessary you can still cross connect and fire up the 2ch audio system to add-on and fill in if you need more speakers during a movie or concert performance,  but it becomes a different challenge with accuracy, gets kinda messy but still can be fun.  Others may chime in with better ideas, just what I did. Best of luck.