Pass Labs 150.8 and XP-20 versus PrimaLuna Dialogue Premier HP integrated

Hello all!

Considering moving from PL to Pass Labs 150.8 and XP 20. Thinking about moving to separates and Solid state. The PL sounds awesome but I think I want a bit more punch on the low end and overall fullness. 

Would love to to hear feedback. 

hambon

Showing 1 response by wolf_garcia

I think it's like comparing a Morgan 3 Wheeler to a Porsche GT3. Either will get you there in style but comparing them…hmmm…Obviously tube amps often sound VERY dynamic (can I say Kick Ass?) and I like my moderately powered tube hifi amp (my SS preamp works swimmingly with it), but don't plan to do any arc welding with it. I have nothing but respect for Admiral Nelson's "tube like" (his words) designs (owned a Forte…it was great), but my "low end punch" comes from a couple of SS REL subs so I suppose I'm in a hybrid zone. I think it's interesting that Nelson Pass personally likes to design his way cool First Watt amps to sound "musical" and utilize extreme simplicity and just enough power to make them useful…kind of like a tube amp...Also, the Pass amp/preamp combo costs around $15,000, the Primaluna $4,500 or so…hmmm again.