Pass amp vs McCormack with Silver/Gold upgrades...

OK, I'm trying again. My purchases in the past have benefited and been guided from help here, and I hope my first SS amp purchase might benefit similarly. I've read a lot and my interest has focused on two amps (thought the Blue Circles are intriguing).

For the cost of buying a DNA-1 or .5 and getting $1000 to $2000 of upgrades, I can buy a pair of used Pass Aleph amps (more or less) such as the ones on Ebay right now. I have not heard either, but am going on lots and lots of reading.

Is anybody able to contrast the sound I might get with these two options? Or make an educated guess? Uneducated guess? Toss a coin?

Any comments would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
river251

Showing 9 responses by river251

Thanks John. I posted a long reply but it doesn't seem to have succeeded. In short, I read many comparisons in forums of X vs Y. These two amps seem to rarely be the less preferred in such discussions.

I have ProAc One SCs, with a Marantz 8B and CJ PV-5. I want more clarity. I have listened to my ProAcs against many other speakers at dealers and their systems were much better than mine. The ProAcs are capable of much more clarity. I thought I'd try a SS amp and new preamp. 11x12 room.

Thanks for asking.

Jim
John, thanks very much. Can you educate me a bit about the impedance matching issue with mating preamps with amps?

Your system sounds really nice. I do agree the PV-5 is probably the weak link limiting clarity in my system. Uncle Stu (don't see him here but he is on that other place) has offered to turn my PV-5 into a PV-11 for a fair price. I also have been reading up on ARC, and I think an SP6, SP8, SP14, or LS5 would be great to try but as I'm pinching pennies for a land purchase they are way above my budget...they all seem to be $2K or so. Another option is one of those

I can pick up a SS amp to try a lot cheaper, even a McCormack. I'm also curious about how the bass will sound compared to my 8B. I may pick up a B&K ST-140 as a start; they are very cheap.

I may start a thread on the impedance thing, I should understand this before investing too much...

Thanks much,
Jim
Hi John. Just to try something SS without really opening my wallet I just picked up a like-new B&K ST-140 (105w version 2). I know these are a bit weak in the bass and high end, but it will be an easily recovered data point. I waffled between that and an Aragon 2004 MkII also on Ebay but my wallet won.

The only info I can find on the CJ PV-5 output impedance is 200 ohms. The ST-140 input impedance is 24Kohms (Aragon 2004 is 22Kohms). What do you think? I have never had a SS amp aside from receivers in college.

I looked in Audiogon for an Auricle and Coda, Clayton Audio and Threshold amps. There is a Threshold (above my budget) but none of the others. The Avatar sounds very attractive...there is one but it's 4400, a bit special it seems. Moot though as the 3K is out of reach right now.

Many thanks for the thoughts. I think the first thing right now is see what SS sounds like, keeping in mind I'm at the low, low end. I understand some cap changes can alleviate the wooshy bass and rolled highs in the ST-140 and at this price point I would not be afraid to try it myself.

As mentioned I probably need to be working on the preamp instead of the amp so I'll be keeping my eye out. Should you ever decide on an upgrade on the pre, let me know. I'm curious how the Auricle sounds relative to an ARC, CJ, or Audible Illusions...

Jim
John, will do. Thanks for the comments on preamp characters, that was incredibly useful. I should give you a percentage of the money you just saved me.

Cables? Well, um... I went to the local car/home hifi place, and asked for the best car audio cable they had; I think I got 30 feet for $30. You see I am just setting my system back up after years in storage, and am also the proverbial underpaid academic. So I need to take it a step at a time, but indeed, cables have been much on my mind as I focus on improving clarity. I am eager to find out what impact that will have. Would you have any recommendation, given you know my situation somewhat?

Swampwalker, I would love to read a long exposition on the sonic distinctions between the ST-140 and a DNA so please feel free if you feel like it. I did search for all I could find on that without very informative results.

Certainly you are right though, and I did make a bid on the DNA .5 Deluxe but didn't get it. Which highlights one big difference between the ST-140 and DNA: the price. My offer was 3x what I got the ST-140 for and I still didn't win!

Do you think the B&K will not tell me anything useful about how SS will sound compared to my 8B, that will apply for the DNA as well?

I do plan to get a DNA but am unfortunately not a doctor, nor a lawyer, so it will be a while...the problem with college is you choose a path when you are too young to realize how important money is going to be once you can't call up your parents in an emergency....:-)

Jim

John I'm amazed there may be a speaker cable for that price range. Would you call these on the bright side?

I fully expect the B&K will not replace my 8B. But I have been intrigued for some time. It's costing me $27 in shipping, and I am sure I can pretty much get my $200 back on Ebay, as it looks new. It's a data point. I'll learn.

Thanks.
Jim
Phd, thanks very much. Don't let's get started on the economy...

John, thanks much, I've spent some time this morning reading threads on the Mapleshade wires and will get both speaker cables and interconnects to try when I can.

Jim
Thanks all. Actually Swampwalker I called Paul to see if he would make me some 6" adapters to go from the tiny screw posts on my vintage amps to some bananas, and buy some jumpers, and he called back this morning. Before I got off the phone he sold me 48 ft of wire and 8 bananas (plugs, I mean) and he threw in some solder so it looks like I am going to try the antiwires before I try the mapleshades. I have no discipline.

Phd that's the .5 I was talking about. I offered him 500, he countered with 600. It was just too close to what I can get a 1 for, since I'm going to eventually get Steve's silver or gold upgrade. Not to repeat myself but I think Chris said after the upgrades the .5 vs 1 advantage will be diminished and it will be good to have the power for unknown future speakers. Besides I should not have even entertained spending that right now. My aim is more clarity and I think people who have suggested focusing on the preamp right now are right, so these funds should be going that way.

Didn't mean not to talk about the economy, you can talk about it all you want, I was just refusing to participate. If you think I'm bad going on and on about hifi....besides I get more than enough economy keeping up with the market in fear for my 403B.

Jim
Hi Guys, well I've spent a few days with the B&K ST-140. Thought I'd put it in a new thread though, as some person might be interested but might not find it in this McCormack thread.

To wrap the McCormack topic though, I won't be buying one, as I'll explain in the new thread.

Thanks to all of you for your input and help. Sure makes this hobby more tractable.

Jim