Parasound HCA-1500 or alternative

Howdy!  I got into audio stuff several years ago, bought the things I wanted, and then left the scene for a bit.  Now I want to set up a new system, but I'm not sure what's what anymore, and I'd like some input from folks.  Specifically, I'd like to get an amplifier that sounds like the Parasound HCA-1500.  I had one for a while, and I really liked it.  Not a miracle worker, but a great, smooth sound (I'm pretty sure MOSFETs are the key here).  Not as grainy as the various Adcoms I'd used previously.  Also, it had a good bit of grunt, and powered my 200w speakers very well.  It cost me a little less than $400, used.

I'd like to get another amp, around $400, that sounds like that Parasound.  If I can find another HCA-1500, great; although they seem pretty scarce, and I wonder if they're getting a little long in the tooth.  Would anyone have a recommendation for a great-sounding, high-powered amp (probably with MOSFET transistors) that costs about $400 used?  I've heard some Rotels that sounded similar; I've also been impressed by NAD, although I wouldn't know where to start in terms of model names/numbers.  Also, should I be looking at new amps, too? Are we at the point where a new $400 amp sounds as good as a 20-year-old amp that cost $1000 new?  Thanks very much for any feedback!
bthogan

Showing 2 responses by teo_audio

you can still get a 1500 for $400-500, and they show up on the 'bay every now and then. You'll have to wait patiently, though.
the 990, 1080 rotels are also premium amps for bargain prices, if you liked the hca-1500's qualities. they used (the 990 anyway) what are essentially dnm slit foil main power supply capacitors. These were not cheap. I'd rate them in the same category of quality as the better nichicon muse power supply capacitors.

a quick mind and finger (on ebay or whatnot) can net you a 1080 or 990 for under $500. Broadly similar sound quality as the 1500.