Pani ... New ART-9 up and running ...

The Cartridge arrived and I took it down to Studio City to Acoustic Image to have Eliot Midwood set it up properly. Eliot is the bomb when it comes to setting up the Well Tempered turn tables correctly.

http://www.acousticimage.com/

So, last night I had Mr. Golden Ears over to get his assessment as well. For a brand new cartridge that had zero hours on it ... all I can say is WOW! This is one naturally musical cartridge that doesn't break the bank. Its everything I liked about the OC9-mk III, but it goes far beyond the OC-9 in every respect.

In a previous post, I talked about the many mono records I own and how good the OC-9 was with the monos. Well, the ART-9 is on steroids. Just amazing on mono recordings.

At under $1100.00 from LP Tunes, its a bargain. The ART-9 surpasses all cartridges I've had in the system before. That would include Dynavectors, Benz, Grado Signatures and a Lyra Clavis that I dearly loved. In fact, its more musically correct than the Clavis. The Clavis was the champ at reproducing the piano correctly ... the ART-9 is equally as good in this area.

Sound stage, depth of image, left to right all there. Highs ... crystalline. Mids ... female and male voices are dead on. Transparency ... see through. Dynamics ... Wow! Low noise floor ... black. Mono records ... who needs stereo?

Your assessment that the ART-9 doesn't draw attention to itself is dead on. You just don't think about the cartridge at all. Not what its doing, or what its not doing ... its just beautiful music filling the room.

Thanks again Pani for the recommendation. I'll keep posting here as the cartridge continues to break in.
128x128oregonpapa
@lewm the Doshi doesn’t have a mono switch, nor does the Truth volume control. I’m not sure why that would warm up the mid range though. ?  (I mean not having the preamp switched to mono). 

@pani I knew this wasn’t really a "shoot-out" because the Zyx would almost certainly come out on top, but I wanted to know exactly How. And the comparison taught me something - I hadn’t really perceived that arc where the ART9 is a bit stronger in the mids but tapers off above and below that. So I just thought I’d put it out there in the interests of building a base of information on this cartridge.

What you said about the ART9 disappearing into the system jibes with my own experience. And the Doshi combined with the Truth VC is pretty transparent and unkind to lesser carts....
New here 1st post.

Just ordered the ART-9. Many thanks to all the posters in this thread. The great questions, comments and concerns offered by the various posters, enabled me to make an informed choice.

Thanks
Just thought I'd stop in and shovel some coal in the boiler of the ART9 train.

Good to see there's plenty of steam still movin this thread.

Closing in on 2 years use here. STILL rockin without any desire to upgrade(unless 50k falls in my lap to completely redo everything)

Has anyone heard the ART 1000 yet? I realize it's in a different league for uber setups, so I'm thinking most here wouldn't bother with such decadence.

@tablejockey I do not want to derail the ART-9 train but it will be interesting to understand which turntables would be considered "Uber" from the ART-9 perspective ?

Any good $5k turntable should be able to differentiate between a $1k ART9 and say $6k Ortofon A95 sufficiently to justify the difference in price. At the same time I do not expect a ART9 on a Continnum turntable either. However as one goes up the ladder of turntables, what is the level where ART-9 seems to be a non-starter ?

For the reference, before my current turntable I was using the ART9 with a Verdier TT. One may not consider it Uber going by the price and the fact that it is an "old" design but it was a legendary machine in more than one ways. On the Verdier the ART-9 was as good as anything, I would say it was the sweetest spot for a TT like Verdier. So, the "Uber"has to start much higher than the Verdier at least.