pairing an amp and cd player with B&W 685

So after several months of browsing audiogon and the various other "audiophile" sites, I still find myself (information overload) stuck in a vicious circle.

I am looking for an amp and cd player to pair with B&W 685 (bookshelves), and would like to spend ~500-800 on each component. I have found the high-end a bit sharp on the 685s, and have been looking at tube pre-amps recently (Jolida 1501 and the Shengya A10), but also at the Musical Fidelity (e.g. x-150) range. Based on the money I would like to spend, I would be happy with used components.

For Cd players, I have been thinking the Jolida jd100, possibly a rega unit as well. For the J100, not sure whether pairing it with the jd1501 would be too warm (though I would prefer an "easier" listen), so I would welcome a response from anyone with that combo.

Any advice, recommendations on the aforementioned components, or for alternatives in the ~500-800 price range would be much appreciated. Looking for a slightly warmer sound and also want the flexibility of having multiple inputs/outputs (for cd, tv, dvd, pre-out/powered sub).

Also, if you have any associated speaker wire/interconnects for your recommendations, ideas are most welcome.

I am based in Washington DC, and have been disappointed by the area's audio stores for demos, so that may make decisions even harder. If anyone knows a good store in this area, please let me know!

Many thanks in advance for the advice!
henryfi

Showing 1 response by henryfi

Many thanks for your comments. I took a look at the pic you have of your office system. Very impressive! Unfortunately, my 685s are for my main system. A first foray into this wonderful world, if you will.

My room is probably about 12 foot by 16, so am not sure whether I would get enough out of 35w. Also - would be curious to hear your take on using tubes in any everyday system: to run cd, dvd, tv, etc. What's the timeline for replacement?

Thanks again.