Output tubes for ARC Ref 110

I am getting ready to replace the tubes in my ARC Ref 110.
I will be buying set of KT120 as main output tubes but was wondering if I should also replace at the same time the 6H30 stage tubes ?
I have done just a bit of reading and see that many people run the 6H30 much longer than the main power tubes.

What's the recommendation here ?

thanks!
ether

Showing 2 responses by mechans

I can confirm that the pre amp tube will have a much longer life up to 10,000 but not always 10,000hs than the output tubes usually given as 2,000 hrs. .  The 6H30s should be 6H30 EB for that rating you may only get 5,000 hrs out of standard 6H30s. so be careful;. 

No I mean the opposite.  From my reading, and I think you might want to research this on Audio Asylums Tube Asylum that the suffix tubes last a lot longer and are better over all than the standard meaning it is the 10,000 hr tube whereas the plain 6H30 would yield 5,000hrs. .  In particular there is yet another variant the 6H30 DR which is also highly prized.  It is not a tube I use or collect.

However almost every preamp or small signal tube last 2 to 4 times what the output tube it drives or effects.  I do use 6922s which are cousins of the 6H30s., or so I am told. I have yet to wear out a small signal tube. Even a pair I bought as worn out still work well. OTOH Worn outputs  really don't work.