OPPO BDP-103 (NON Darby)

Hey all, (My mistake, I know it’s Darbee, not "Darby.")
I think I’m finally going to break down and buy a player that plays SACD disks. I know there are not all that many SACD titles available but I tried getting back into vinyl and was not all that happy with the $800.00 table I bought. Perhaps when I can afford a $3,00.00 PLUS turntable I will try again.
Anyway, I currently play DSD & FLAC files via thumb drive with my Marantz network player and CDR via a good Yamaha CD player. My amp & pre-amp are Emotiva and current speakers are B&W.
My thought is to buy an OPPO 103 - NON Darbee addition as I do not expect to use it for anything but 2 channel audio.
So, my qiestion is; how does the OPPO BDP-103 perform when playing Hi-Res audio and especially SACD? Does anyone have first hand experience with other players that may be a better choice for what I want in the same price range? I’ve read that the OPPOs tend to do better with Video play back than audio. Is this true?
I appreciate any & all replies!
wcc10

Showing 4 responses by naimfan

You might also try a Conrad-Johnson PV10 or similar.  Very good sounding, well-made, straightforward.  From your description of Rotel the CJ could be a better way to move forward. 
The ARC is a very good preamp.  I suggested CJ based on what you wrote about finding the Rotel to be a bit sterile.  There's also a CJ PV14L on Agon; along with a Classic 2 (new, from an authorized dealer); both are well worth considering. 

NB - I'm not affiliated with or connected in any way to any of the sellers. 
WCC10 -

I finally broke down and tried an Oppo 105 as a CD transport.  I've since returned it. 

It sounded OK, but there wasn't much difference between it and an old and cheap Sony DVD player via the digital out.  (The analog out on the Oppo was substantially - even hugely - better than the Sony.)  The Oppo was slightly more focused and detailed, and had slightly better grip on the bass, but the differences were smaller than I expected.  Was it better?  Yes.  Was it worth it?  No.  (That is purely based on using it as a CD transport - with video, even my wife saw how much better the Oppo was.)

I also compared it to my Meridian 598, which was convincingly better, as was an Exposure 3010S2.  Of course, the Meridian does not have analog outs (I have the "D" version), and I don't believe the Exposure will play SACDs. 

So if you want something that will play SACD, you might be better off with a Marantz or a Sony. 

WCC10 -

I didn't do balanced because my amplification doesn't support it ( I use Naim; only the $100K Statement preamp has balanced inputs).  I also didn't try any SACDs because I don't have any. 

I did break it in per suggestions - I had it plugged in and playing at work for 2 full weeks before playing it at home. 

A used Esoteric might be a good way to go - that I can't venture an opinion on.  I've at least heard a couple of the Sony and Marantz SACD players, and they seem to have a reasonably good track record with reliability (once they sorted out the early production issues). 
More to discover