Opinions on the Cary 211 tube amp

Hello,

I've always been intrigued by this amp but never actually heard one. What I'd like to know most is, how does it compare sonically to amps using 6550/KT88/KT90s? Is it powerful to handle inefficients speakers, 83db in my case? Lastly, is it reliable?

Thanks
ethannnn

Showing 1 response by brainwater

I also owned the 211 anniversary Carys .Dennis is a magician and has created something that will be legendary as years pass. They were very powerful and sweet. The top end was liquid and anything but harsh as i auditioned a dozen sets of speakers during the time i had them . They effortlessly drove every pair including 84 db efficiency Avalons . I would not call the ammp a "headbanger " amp however and would not suggest it to such a listener. This amp is refined and muscular and will play beautifully , loud , as long as you are not Beavis on a Metallica binge . The midrange was golden with rich layered harmonics that was at once seductive and alluring , drawing you deeper into the music. The soundstage depth was one of its magic tricks and till this day tops any tube amp i have had in my system. This is an seasoned audiophiles dream tube amp and is for someone who loves music and is not obsessed with gear. I sold mine because I have found the sound of the latest CJ gear more to what I was searching for at the moment . I will miss the 211 however and may one day re purchase it . My unit was very reliable and i would not hesitate to buy another .