Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
bondmanp: Thanks for sharing your experience with the lengthy break-in period for your 2000’s. In retrospect, perhaps I was too hasty when I decided to return them. Hmmmm. Darn it, why didn’t you call me? :)

You’ve got me thinking....

So now I have a question for myself, how well would a completely broken-in pair of 1000’s do in a small 11’ x 13’ room which is open to the living room and partially open to the kitchen?. Not looking for high volume nor accurate presentation of larger orchestral works of course. It’s premature for me to even be considering this, but I’ve got a lot more yesterdays than  tomorrows. :)   These days, I don’t play my system that much when my wife's at home anyway. I may give the small OHM’s a try if I find a used pair at an attractive price.

RE: man cave. If I were back in my rock and roll days, or maybe just a couple of decades younger, I’d probably love one as you described.

The posters in this thread have uniformly maintained a level of civility that is refreshing.
Thanks to all.
ps-my opinion only, but I would think the 1000's would be fairly ideal in that space. I had a pair of MWT's in a space a bit bigger, was still surprised at how well they sounded, not lost in the space at all. Obviously a little bass limited perhaps depending on exact listening position, but wonderful music. All depends on expectation level maybe? 
I've found that Ohms can handle surprisingly large spaces, well in excess of recommendations.  I have a pair of  OW 2000s in a 15'x30' combined living and dining room, having had the 2s and 2OXs before them. (None of these models could be described as remotely strident--Ohms have a well controlled high end that steadily improved with each generation, but did not result in that hyper-real artificial etched imaging sought by many audiophiles.) The room is significantly larger than Ohm's recommendation for the 2000s (the 3000s are the recommended speaker size). Yet, they fill the space wonderfully well from the highs through the low bass.  

The only problem I had was a need to tame a boomy bass that resulted form my bare hardwood floor over a crawlspace.  The downward firing port made the floor vibrate like a giant drum head. Placing the speakers on granite slabs was very helpful in cutting down the boom and tightening up the lowest frequencies.  This accords with those pointing out floor interactions as often in need of correction.

Hi guys lurking a long time and a owner of a set of 4/5000 with the pyramid cabinets.
Included in my 9.2 system I have an Ohm center, and matching Walsh satellites.
As an Video/Audiophile I did have need for deep, deep infinite baffle  bass when needed
so I built a set of subs with four 18" drivers rattling everything including my neighbors false teeth.

As a self inflicted dyi person that can never leave anything alone (ever) ;) I had to fiddle
with the center channel as it really kind of sucked. 
Ineligibility was incredibly poor (JS did make some changes to the crossover) I was still very unhappy but figured it would break in at some point but never did. Tried different cables ran Audessey but no avail it still sucked.
At one time I was almost strong armed in to change the speaker by my wife as she couldn't understand some of the dialog ( me too).
Finally  my curiosity got the better of me and VOILA' the perforated can over the drivers were removed........Dang that's  all I can say, by now you might figured out that all the speakers fell under the knife!!

Before I continue, I will start from the end...
I now think I have something very special that sounds fantastic, were I felt no connection to
the music and movies I now have  Air, Transparancy, Intelligebility, amazing Imaging and 
sound staging wider that any speaker I ever owned.
I also have to say that JS is a very nice guy who will take care of any issues I ever had
imagined or real...

So anyway back to the center ch, I also fashioned up a horn like device around the
now naked driver. It seemingly helped to throw a more intelligible sound field,
BUT it wasn't right, it started to sound compressed and weird. Out went the horn
and snip, snip.....
The tweeter went in the pile of never to be used again parts.

As a previous owner of Maggie's, and a few electrostatic speakers the idea of adding 
a planar ribbon was incredibly hard to resist, yes a planar ribbon tweeter, but it had to be small enough to fit within the 3" or so measurement height wise as I did want to re-use the 
grill cover. Parts Express had the perfect driver (after cutting away part of the flange), that met the requirements. KAPOW dang and holy cow, now I can even understand weird British accents and my wife is very happy indeed.
To match the fullness of the 4/5k I added a parametric equalizer to the mix to fatten up the sub 1k frequencies and smoothing of a small 2k room anomaly.

I will have more coming and if it's possible I will post images or a YouTube video in the next few days...🇸🇪

Stay Tuned...

peterr53 - Wow!  You answered one of my nagging questions:  How would Ohms sound with a ribbon tweeter?  So, we have to ask, which tweeter did you use?  Is it a folded-type?  I have really liked most of the Heil-type folded ribbon tweets I have heard.  While the Ohm tweeter in my 2000s is good, I have long felt that it is not the strongest part of the design.  I am helpless and hopeless when it comes to DIY, but I know some people who are quite good.  Not sure I want to put my Ohms under the knife, but, you never know!

BTW, I like my Ohm center, in stock form, just fine.  I sit pretty close, (~9 feet), and have a stand that aims the driver and tweeter right at my ears.  But I do not doubt your own experience.