Odyssey Stratos or Krell 400Xi for Usher 6381's

Do you guys think the Stratos amp has enough power for these speakers? If not the standard model, then how about with the cap ugrade?

The other unit I'm looking at is the Krell KAV-400Xi integrated. From what I've read it has good power.

I've sold my amp so I have to get serious about finding a replacment.

Naim CD5i for source. Arcam AVP-700 would be used in by-pass mode for pre-amp if I go with a seperate amp vice an itegrated.

You thoughts please.
jack_dotson

Showing 2 responses by jack_dotson

Thanks everyone for your fantastic inputs.

I have a chance to get a one yar old stereo stratos with red board (what ever this is) and cap upgrade for $800 shipped. However, it has a silver face plate and I need black. This will probably add about another $100 to the price tag, if these are even user replaceable.

I'm thinking that $900 total is stil probably a pretty good deal. I figure I can give the amp a try and see how things turn out. And, with the money I saved buying used I can upgrade it to the hilt later on if needed or as desired. Will give me something to look forward to. :-)

Any of you guys change the color of the cool light on this amp? Curious if this is a bulb change or what. I sent Klaus an email asking if it was possible get the light in different colors (I would like greem to match my Arcam and Naim equipment)and he said it was.

Just curious if any of you had changed yours.
Jax2, if I went with the krell I was going to utilize the HT by-pass option. I understand your recommending the dual mono amps. But, the Stratos is not 100 watts, it's 150, plus it had the cap upgrade, so it should be fine. I realize I wont get the maximum performance until I upgrade.

Undertow, thanks so much. I'll just order the face plate and put it on and then when I send the amps to be converted to dual mono I'll let Klaus make it green. :-)