Not happy with Krell SACD

I have listened to about 25 cd's and a limited amount of SACD's and I am not satisfied with the sound of the Krell SACD Standard. For whatever reason it is far too bright for my ears. It is actually fatiguing at times and I do not want to listen for more than a few minutes. Has anyone found this to be true or have another opinion? Do you have any suggestions?
Dr John
drjohn
Quite different sonic signatures between the tubed Cary 308 and the Krell, I would imagine.
I would love to see a journal of 500 hours of listening/breakin.

I'm sorry--if I spent 4k, it better sound good out of the box. It may get better, but if it doesn't sound good now, don't keep it.

The Cary 306/200 uses the same transport as the Krell as I recall (Philips) which most cdps in that price range use. I personally prefer the Wadia transports (Pioneer, Teac).

Keith
Has anyone compared the Krell SACD Standard with the Meridian 508.24 for playback of regular redbook CDs?
Even after the player is well broken in, be SURE you warm it up before each session, or just leave it on. Somebody above already mentioned this but its very important. The player will not operate optimally until the temperature of all working parts is stable.

If you still dont like it then its time to look into other options.
If someone hasnt said it already, i would suggest putting a cd or sacd disc in it and putting it on repeat for a few days. You dont have to have the system playing, just have it hooked up to a preamp. I did this with a Krell 280 cd a couple of years ago. Right out of the box, it sounded much much worse (hard and grating) than the inexpensive Denon dvd player i was using before. After letting it run on repeat for a few days, it was sounding much better.

RB