North Creek B&W 801 crossovers? Tried them?

I know they are rather pricey at $1600.00+... Has anyone auditioned these crossovers or own a set? I have a pair of B&W 801 S3 speakers that I drive with a CAL 2500 MCA. The sound is very nice but I was wondering what difference these crossovers would make, if any... If so would the difference be worth the $$? I only paid $2100 for the speakers (an AWESOME deal as far as I am concerned, considering the condition, PERFECT). Hope to hear from you. I am also looking for a pair of the stands they used to make for these speakers. Are there any out there for sale? Thanks for looking! Paul
tahoe36c
Ubglub
KEEP the plates on the Xovers(The electronics are attached to the covers).The bottom covers are about a 1/2" thick and don't seem appropriate for the load they support, so handle the Xovers with care(Each Xover are around 50lbs each). GET RID OF the bottom plates on the speakers. Unless you live outside, dust shouldn't be a problem. My Xovers had Binding Post(BP) plates that were supposed to be attached to the outside of the enclosure. I instead utilized the factory BP plate and enlarged the holes and drill an extra hole to accomodate the Xovers Binding Posts(My Xovers had wire leads for 5 BP's). Change the spikes that come with the Xovers to something more substantial such as the small Polycrystal/brass footers.
I hope that many of you are still interested in the NC external XO and periodically read this post -- 10 years later!

I recently acquired a pair of 801 S3's with NC XO's and Sound Anchor stands. The speakers have a bottom plate on them. Not sure what is on inside. The tri-wire NC plate is attached where the old B&W bi-wire plate used to be. The terminals stick out beyond the back of the speaker prohibiting me from flipping them on that side without doing some damage due to the weight of the speaker. Other than that, there are no issues.

I have no clue where the old parts are, so if I had to sell to a collector, I am out of luck and will have to sell the package. Please do not hold your breath. I cannot compare the sound of the addition of the XO's since I got the whole package. However, compared to stock 802 S3, which I replaced, there is a world of difference. Detail, sound stage, and base. ENJOY THE MUSIC!

Just curious about the internal wiring. How much difference will the internal wiring make compared to stock?

I have much to up-grade. Current system includes:

Oppo 95 with volume control
Geek Pulse DAC also with volume control
Yamaha MX - 1 amp (no preamp as my turntable is kaput)
B&W 801 S3 with NC XO's

Any suggestions on the Amp?

George at Northcreek is of the impression that upgrading the internal wires won't make that much difference. OTH, if you google the subject, specifically regarding the 801's, some believe it to be beneficial. There is not much wiring internally. Wires to the main drivers are attached via a slip on connector. There are some who believe that soldering directly will improve the sound. Also, the wires to the revolving head unit involve another connector, allowing removal of the head unit. Again, some people believe eliminating the connector will improve the sound. Obviously, if you do this, the head is not so easily removed.

The bottom plate covers the original BW crossover, assuming the original purchaser of the Northcreeks left it there.

You did not mention if you also obtained the bass alignment filter. Some people feel the original BW filter muddies the sound a bit. Personally, I think it is essential to the overall package. If you can get the Krell filter, you'd be better off.

I would upgrade your amp, used Krell, Pass Labs would be worth an audition.
Tahoe,

polly crystal brass feet! where do they go!. I have the 801's and the covers and the sound anchor stands.

Mohan
Elee,

I assume your response was to me previous note above regarding amps. If so any specific used models?
mohan