Normal or Abnormal?

I have noticed the following problem with a BRAND NEW Musical Fidelity M6si. When a Denon Audio Technical CD C39-7147 CD is played tracks 46-53 spot frequencies on two different CD players (Emotiva ERC3 and Sony DVPNS57P), regardless of XLR or RCA input, and the volume control is raised or lowered manually or via remote, significant static is heard. I also ran same test via USB input from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3hTyKlza2c

Those with the M6si or better are asked to weigh in on the question as to whether or not "static" is heard when playing spot frequencies and adjusting volume up or down.
128x128gdhal

Showing 3 responses by zd542

If the static only happens when you are changing volume, it usually means the volume pot needs to be cleaned or replaced.
"But, how important is this really, I presume you bought the integrated to play music, not test tracks- so why worry about it."

Its a brand new piece. He shouldn't have to live with a problem like that on something brand new. Also, if it does turn out the volume pot, it will only get worse over time.

"Might it be noise introduced by the motor (because that is in use whether moved manually or via remote) and if yes, would that be considered normal in amp in this price bracket?"

No. You shouldn't have that problem regardless of cost.
I actually buy their answer. It's very difficult to put into words what something sounds like. A bad pot sounds like a crunchy type of static. It can be very faint, or very loud, and its not always consistent. After reading through the posts, it looks like we're not dealing with that type of noise.

As far as MF being made in Asia, I understand the concern (And a valid one, in my opinion). I used to have an A5 myself and it seemed to be very well made I had no issues with its build quality.