Nordost Valhalla 2 Speaker Cables

A few years back I had tested a bunch of top speaker cables with my Gryphon Diablo 300 and B&W 803 D2’s (Top cables from Nordost, AudioQuest and Transparent, and due to cost, I didn’t purchase the winners (Valhalla 2’s) at the time.

Well, I finally took the plunge and paid extra to have them broken in using a Nordost machine. I had forgotten how stunning these are. These are exactly the sound I’m after. I’ve often been frustrated by HiFi systems not having that same crisp quickness of detail that a decent pair of headphones offer. These cables finally give me that. With loads of high frequency detail, but somehow, there is nothing fatiguing or bright about the excellent, sweet treble, with lots of bass warmth that is also lighting quick.

I’ve been considering a speaker upgrade lately and was thinking that I would like speakers with more detail, more precise imaging, faster response and better dynamics. Well, these cables do all that! I’m not one to get carried away but switching out my excellent Clarus Crimson biwires for these was like upgrading my speakers. I’ve half a mind not to bother looking for new speakers now!

Seems silly that cables can make you want to listen to music late into the night but that’s just what happened…. When people upgrade amps or speakers I often hear “I hear new details I’ve never heard in tracks I’ve been listening to for decades” and that also happened with the Valhalla 2’s.

I’m the first to be cautious of people going overboard using superlatives to describe their experience with new gear, but the only time I’ve ever fallen into that, aside from this example, is when I got my Gryphon. Three years later I’m every bit as enthused with my Gryphon. In fact it’s the only expensive thing I’ve bought that I ended up truly enjoying. 99% certain I will continue to feel this way about the Valhalla 2’s, as silly as that seems (it’s a cable!!!).

Stupidly expensive to an absurd degree for a cable, but worth every penny.

I guess my only cautions would be that for some, the rapid fire leading-edge detail may not be to everyone’s liking (I equate it to the fast crisp detail on a good set of headphones). Also, if you are trying to compensate for bright electronics maybe this level of detail would only make things worse? Not sure. In my system, I now have pinpoint imaging, loads of detail, very crisp timing, sweet and well controlled treble, lots of well controlled bass and warmth through all frequencies, lots of dynamic impact, and best of all, it just sounds right and allows you to really get into the music. Even if you play blaring hard rock with distorted guitars (usually a nemesis of hifi systems) it sounds fantastic.

I’m sure I’ve lost credibility for being so effusive; my only defense is that with all of my upgrades, I’ve only ever been this enthusiastic with my Gryphon integrated….

In HiFi people often gravitate towards getting ultimate transparency and detail, OR they gravitate to a more musically engaging but less authentic presentation. To me the Valhalla 2’s offer both the HiFi detail experience AND musical engagement.

nyev

Thank you for your comments and congratulations for your upgrade. It is truly amazing what top quality interconnects and cables can do. @akg_ca brought up some good points… high level Nordost are MUCH better than low level. Also, your components must be up to the task… if they are not passing on nuances you do not want to hear it is not a good thing.

I had the privilege of using a set of Nordost Odin2 interconnects. At first they sounded very similar to my contemporary Transparent Ultra interconnects… but then I started to hear another level of really natural sounding detail I had not heard before. The interconnects cost $17K… the average cost of my components… like Preamp, amp, streamer… etc is $20K. I took them out of my system… I was worried I could not go back.

Being able to look back on that experience… and what I know now (I have been an audiophile for 50 years)… next time I have sufficient funds… I will be buying a set of Nordost Odin2 interconnects… then another… then another.

Does anyone, anywhere find it interesting that in almost all cases, the most expensive items supposedly sound or taste or work the best? 

Silly humans. https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/behavioral-impact-higher-price

Does anyone, anywhere find it interesting that in almost all cases, the most expensive items supposedly sound or taste or work the best? 

Nope!

The higher the cost of a component the more expectation bias takes over. That shiny new toy is always more attractive than the old battered one!

+1 mrskeptic! Price certainly does influence what one feels about a product.