Node 2i vs Cambridge 851N question

I have been streaming Spotify and Qobuz through a Node 2i and Orchid DAC. I have had a very difficult time discerning a difference between the two streaming services on a consistent basis. I recently purchased a Cambridge 851N streamer/DAC and was shocked to hear a radical difference between Spotify and Qobuz. Spotify sounded much worse and Qobuz sounded better. Has anyone experienced this? I can understand Qobuz sounding better, but why would Spotify sound worse than with the Node?

jrimer

Showing 1 response by adg101

Not sure I’m totally following you. Are you using the Cambridge by itself or still with the Orchid? Could be several things, such as the spdif cable between your Node and Orchid or maybe the Orchid is too warm and not as revealing? Not heard your DAC but it gets plenty of praise here but it does sound like it’s fairly forgiving, probably in a good way, and probably makes poor recordings still sound good. I’m still using a Bluesound Vault 2 as a streamer only and through my DAC I agree Qobuz sounds better as well.

If still have your Orchid, run the Cambridge through it. I have a Cambridge 851C and it’s a nice CDP but its DAC which is the same as the 851N is good but I’m betting the Orchid is much better but it could be a little too polite too.

Hopefully through the Node you were using the coax digital and not toslink. If you are using the spdif, what is your cable? Also connect hardwire/ethernet on the Node and not wireless.