NHT XD's well built?

Have been considering buying new/used pair of nht xd's. Considering that nht is going out of business, or is out of business, just wanted to know if these babies are built to last.

Thanks,

doug
doug_kraz
I've had absolutely no issues with mine, which I've had for about 3.5 years. Great speakers - the prices now are unbelievable. I've thought about picking up an extra system...
I used to work at a retailer that sold NHT. It was years ago, but IIRC, we almost never had any problems with defective units from NHT.
I've had an Xd 2.1 system for 2+ years. Initially, I had a ground loop buzz, but NHT sent me a free set of RCA to balanced interconnects that solved the issue. I am now running fully balanced from my Transporter/pre into the xDA, and love the results.

In addition to NHT continuing service, you could contact www.audioconsultingservices.com, which are ex-NHT engineers who worked on the original Xd design. They do mods as well as custom filters. That gives 2 options should anything go wrong.

With prices for remaining inventory 1/2 of new, this is an absolute killer deal. If you want great sound quality that will get you off of upgrade-itis, xD's are an excellent choice.
At homecast.net a vendor called ~jhidley is selling Xd satellites with stands at app. $300/pair and woofers at $300 apiece. Now, while these include internal amplification, you must add your own x-over. Aside from the pricing, this may be appealling on 2 levels:

1) The original NHT x-over was a "watered down" unit (from, I believe DEQX) that didn't offer room correction. If you're okay in the price range, you can buy a full blown DEQX unit (new or used) and pick up rc at a relative bargain. By comparison, the full system being offered on clearance by Listen Up is priced higher than the above with a used DEQX, but a bit lower than a system with a new DEQX.

2) The x-over is the most complex piece in the x-d system. Buying this piece from a vendor that is still a going concern may be a good thing.

Good Luck,

Marty
Martykl,

Just so that people are clear, I want to point out that only the XdW has built-in amplification. The XdS monitors are powered by amps housed in the XdA DEQX/amplifier module which is no longer available.

There is a discussion on another forum about building passive x-overs for the XdS as well as the possibility of using other electronic x-overs like the Behringer DCX.