Newbie question about Vault 2i

I am about to order my new home theater and I am planning on buying Vault2.  I have Ethernet set up in closet where the gear is. 
I am planning on converting my CD’s and also signing on to either Tidal or Qobuz.  
The way I understand it is whatever music I download will be stored on Vault until I drop service.
Vault will be connected to my new receiver.
I will access the music via my iPhone and iPad, correct?
will a subscription to Roon make it easier to use Vault or is the software easy enough to use. What is the Value of using Roon?
Would converting to FLAC be the best option. 
Is connecting to receiver via rca cables to analog out the best way to go
if I didn’t care about converting CD’s would Node 2i be a good option for a lot less money? Is there an advantage to storing Tidal files and Qobuz on on Vault rather than just streaming Tidal to Node 2i.
thanks 
Bob

galleybob

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

I concur with the above.
I have just added Qobuz via the Vault2.  My understanding is that if a download is purchased, then you actually own it, so if you have concerns about losing albums if you discontinue service—or if the label in question severs their tie with Qobuz—that is your option.
Regarding Roon, I would definitely just get familiar with the BluOS app first.  Roon requires a lot of computing power to run, particularly for large collections.  My MacAir couldn’t handle it and crashed repeatedly during the trial.  You may want to ask others how well Roon operates on a Vault before you do a free trial.
Regarding which DAC to use—the AVR, or the Vault2–it depends on your gear.  The DAC in the Vault2 is ok, and will play MQA via Tidal, if that is important, but isn’t the last word in refinement.  If you have a better DAC in your AVR then go that route.  You should be able to do both—connect to your AVR with analog and digital cables—and then easily flip back and forth using the AVR remote and compare