Newbie -- expert thoughts on PA2400 vs GFA5400?

Hi,

I have a relatively simple system:
1) Pre-amp: Anthem AVM2 (although I've been using a Nakamichi AV8 as the pre-amp / processor and I'm actually quite pleased with it. Surprisingly, despite the MSRP price difference, to my ears given my set up, I think the Nak results in a better experience).
2) Amp: Adcom GFA-5400
3) Source: Sony CDP-X111ES CD player
4) Speakers: KEF C75

Question: a Harman Kardon PA2400 is available. Any thoughts on this amp over my GFA-5400? I'm pretty happy with the way the Adcom sounds (it's one made in Japan). But sometimes, I wonder if a little extra headroom would make for better sound.

At $250, would the PA2400 (also made in Japan) be a good replacement? Or will it unlikely give me anything better given my current setup (ie - limitations)?
saru

Showing 3 responses by saru

Hi Daniel,

So, which train of thought is correct? :) Where would my GFA5400 fit in? :)

Thanks for suggestion. I'd love to be able to get the GFA5500. It's quite a bit outside my budget this year, but maybe that's something I could consider next Christmas.

In any case, sounds like I should pass on the PA2400 and continue to consider what would make a good upgrade from my GFA5400 (and save up for it as it's probably going to cost $500+).

Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the response. There is a HK Signature 2.1 available for $299. But I think the general consensus seems to be towards taking the next step up -- save up for a better amp, not just one with more power. So, I'll have to wait another year (or two?) to save up.

That'll give me a chance to learn about amp designs, brands and models (I don't really know anything about amps and don't have a lot of exposure to higher end brands/models outside of the usual suspects (Krell, Classe, McIntosh and the like). Butler Audio is a new one for me -- I'll have to look them up.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the great advice. This helps a lot and is probably saving me much needed funds. Thanks for helping me not waste funds for what likely would have been a lateral purchase at best.

It's small room so perhaps what I have now is sufficient.