New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor

Showing 2 responses by dougolsen

Atmosphere,
I own the SL-1200G  and find it bright.  Fremer and others on the net also find this artifact.  Not on every recording but many.  I'm intrigued by the Tri Planar, once owned and loved one.  Would the Tri-Planar sound warmer on the SL-1200G as I would want to tame down the brightness.  Also, if I opt for a Tri-Planar, where can i acquire a quality armboard for my deck?  If you are inclined to respond I will be very appreciative.  

Regards,
Doug Olsen
audio fun,
Thanks for your post, the LPS you suggest intrigues me.  Honestly, I'm disappointed that any kind of modification is needed to overcome what i believe shouldn't be there ... brightness.  

Do you recommend running in manual until 700 hours is reached and will this help reduce the brightness I object too?  How do you know when you have reduced torque down to 20%?   I have no device or skill to measure this electronically so can it be done visually ie by the number of counterclockwise turns of the little torque adjustment pot (or whatever it's called :-)?

I would need someone to swap the SMPS with an LPS since I am technically challenged.  And finding an LPS is another challenge.  This change could be expensive.

Meanwhile I will try the manual, lower torque idea and see if it helps.  Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it.
Doug